Dynadot

Which Escrow service is better for high cost domain sales? Dan vs. Escrow.com compared

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
For higher priced domains, is Escrow.com a better choice over Dan?

The comparison with Commissions for the seller for a private sale:

Dan: Straight fee 5%
Escrow.com: up to $5K 3.25%
$5000.01 to 25K the above 3.25% + .26%
25K+ .89%

Domain Cost Dan Escrow
$1000 $50 32.50
$5000 $260 162.6
10000 $500 175.5
15000 $750 188
25000 $1250 214.5

There are higher fees in Escrow if using PayPal or credit card, which might make Dan a bit more competitive in some instances. But for standard bank wire transfers Escrow.com prices appear very impressive.

Granted, there have been numerous positive comments about Dan's fast transfer. That could be invaluable in some circumstances. And, in my experience, Dan's customer service iappears top notch. But, overall, pricewise, it seems that Escrow really shines for the high-value domains.

Any thoughts or experiences to share with these or other escrow services?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can tell it how you want, but they manage the domain transaction like Escrow.com and Dan.com escrow exactly the same way :xf.wink:

3% transaction fees. (y)
What can I say more, when I pointed literally to a posting where Sedo makes it clear that they are not an escrow service. Please read all of the context in the Sedo thread. Thanks.

•••
What can I say more, when I pointed literally to a posting where Sedo makes it clear that they are not an escrow service. Please read all of the context in the Sedo thread. Thanks.
Sedo used to offer escrow services in the past, but not anymore.
First you said "Sedo used to offer escrow services in the past, but not anymore".

As far as I know, they have always offered it as "External Transfer Service" and not as an escrow service.

Last edited:
•••
What you see is from the past, when they offered escrow. They still did not clean up their website completely.
What can I say more, when you said the page I posted from Sedo was "a page from the past. They still did not clean up their website completely", when it is clearly a current and live page offering their "External Transfer Service" the same way they have offered from quite a few years now. (y)

•••
•••
•••
By strict definition, it is not escrow.

That said, I would use Sedo "external transfer service" any day of the week (well, minus the weekend).

As for Escrow.com, I would avoid them Sunday through the following Saturday.

Last edited:
•••
For higher priced domains, is Escrow.com a better choice over Dan?

The comparison with Commissions for the seller for a private sale:

Dan: Straight fee 5%
Escrow.com: up to $5K 3.25%
$5000.01 to 25K the above 3.25% + .26%
25K+ .89%

Domain Cost Dan Escrow
$1000 $50 32.50
$5000 $260 162.6
10000 $500 175.5
15000 $750 188
25000 $1250 214.5

There are higher fees in Escrow if using PayPal or credit card, which might make Dan a bit more competitive in some instances. But for standard bank wire transfers Escrow.com prices appear very impressive.

Granted, there have been numerous positive comments about Dan's fast transfer. That could be invaluable in some circumstances. And, in my experience, Dan's customer service iappears top notch. But, overall, pricewise, it seems that Escrow really shines for the high-value domains.

Any thoughts or experiences to share with these or other escrow services?

•••
Just found out that I cannot use Sedo for a transfer service. Sedo is based in Germany and there are limitations to their ability to do business in the US.

from Sedo:
Unfortunately, as the seller’s Sedo account is based in the state ----- we are not able to read in the transaction.
------ is currently enforcing regulations on Sedo, which does not allow for our external transfer service to be used by anyone based in the state.
We do apologize as this is not Sedo’s wish but we must follow the regulations the state has put forth.
We recommend looking into other options for your transaction.

I'm going to try Escrow.com despite occasional bad reviews.

Last edited:
•••
Back