IT.COM

poll Will .CO die a slow death?

NameSilo
Watch

Will .CO die a slow death?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Absolutely, I can see through it

votes
    57.5%
  • Not at all

votes
    42.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Given how the registry has over-priced most of the good and decent names at $100/ piece, do you think this would make it even less attractive for domain investors to invest in this extension and it will start losing its value over time (say 5 years)?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
maybe u mean xyz bahaha
xyz is boomin, whatchu mean sir alcy?

As an answer to your question OP, yes, personally I have found some decent .co domains with a reg fee of $75+ on Sav.com, I will not be investing that on handregged .co domain, if someone else didn't grab it before me chances are it's not good anyway.

.com, very strong .xyz, and very strong .io domains.

•••
Just another nonsense thread.

•••

As an answer to your question OP, yes, personally I have found some decent .co domains with a reg fee of $75+ on Sav.com, I will not be investing that on handregged .co domain, if someone else didn't grab it before me chances are it's not good anyway.

.com, very strong .xyz, and very strong .io domains.

well u know he meant later.. in future..not now.. now neither xyz nor co are dying

•••
any extension with premium pricing will die you are killing the aftermarket for your extension
Domainers are basically promoting your extension for free

•••
maybe u mean xyz bahaha
No, I am very bullish on .XYZ. I meant .CO given the high renewals.

any extension with premium pricing will die you are killing the aftermarket for your extension
Domainers are basically promoting your extension for free
And how does it pan out in context of .CO?

•••
Yes. .co is dead, just like .xyz but not as bad

•••
.CO found a reasonable sized usage and speculative base a couple of years back (and i personally think , as an extension it works) But like all fringe extensions the registry may well have priced itself out of continued growth. Dare I say .XYZ may go the same way. It's a shame - And No I don't own any domains in either extension.

I think anybody that is rising to the recent sales in .XYZ may well want to revisit the old threads of the .CO wave for a precautionary tale and lesson

Last edited:
•••
I predicted the eventual fall of .CO the minute the registry decided to cook the golden goose and introduced "premium registrations/renewals", which essentially kicks the domainer crowd in the nads and drives them elsewhere, like to .IO and .XYZ, the latter of which is also taking the same "short money" dead-end as .CO by introducing premiums.

Premium renewals also make potential buyers very skittish, and I've had inquiries on .COM and .CA domains end with the "And how much are renewals?" question, so news of this tactic is going mainstream.

Last edited:
•••
I don't believe any one who saying .co is going down , unless they have some Stats and figures, the general business considers .co is the second option , if the .com and their country level ccTLD is taken ,
.xyz is soo familiar ,but in the domaining community and while reporting sales ,
Do you think a newly opened small business / a Shopify store / or any business go for .xyz extention?

.co can stand for company and it is immediate next best option for a very regular business after .com ,

•••
I don't believe any one who saying .co is going down , unless they have some Stats and figures, the general business considers .co is the second option , if the .com and their country level ccTLD is taken

I don't really agree with that anymore and right now I view .IO as moving into that position, along with .XYZ. And as you said, ccTLDs are a very powerful factor, especially those which have not gone the effective-gTLD route and still relate to the country.

I realize that .CO is far from dead, but the extreme momentum they had before introducing Premium Registrations and Renewals is now mostly gone.

1655480720941.png

Last edited:
•••

.com, very strong .xyz, and very strong .io domain

I don't really agree with that anymore and right now I view .IO as moving into that position, along with .XYZ. And as you said, ccTLDs are a very powerful factor, especially those which have not gone the effective-gTLD route and still relate to the country.

I realize that .CO is far from dead, but the extreme momentum they had before introducing Premium Registrations and Renewals is now mostly gone.

Show attachment 217976
I respect your opinion, lets see how future unfolds

•••
Sold lll. co for 8500 bin. I think CO is better than IO, XYZ and others.

•••
.co cannot be used that much for commercial needs.

I see .co best serving as personal portfolio website, or another personalized represantation.

COM has eaten co :xf.laugh:

•••
.co cannot be used that much for commercial needs.

I see .co best serving as personal portfolio website, or another personalized represantation.

COM has eaten co :xf.laugh:
CO may be use as Cooperation, Corporation, Company, Commerce, Connecting, Construction, College, Communication, Coordination etc...

•••
del

Last edited:
•••
CO may be use as Cooperation, Corporation, Company, Commerce, Connecting, Construction, College, Communication, Coordination etc...
yep, for those few companies that may makes sense.

but this is a "niche" for business represantation on the net.

I see it more from a platform point of view:
If you have an e-commerce shop, or marketplace, or anything customer / user related, that is being heavily used by those, then I would not choose to go with .co

Way too dangerous that user's could use the .com extension and end up at your competitors.

just my 2 cents...

•••
Premium renewals are a shame, but CO is pretty solid for a non-com.

The extension was gaining traction long before XYZ and the gTLD boom.

•••
The reason .CO is always going to have a market is because it's obtainable . Trying to compare .Com to .Co is a non-argument. When we all realize the .com version is likely to cost you a 100X the price of .Co on the aftermarket. I'm not a massive fan of using cctlds as a substitute but horses for courses as they say. I done very well out of the .TV extension many, many years ago. How many still associate it with the country of Tuluva its original designate country. Now of course Columbia is far bigger country, but that is only relevant to those that live there. I'm sure most of the population of Columbia have come to accept that a .Co extension in a key word is unlikely to direct them to a home-grown website. Particularly if it is an American or English word. Businesses and individuals realize this. Seeing a .Co on a billboard, side of a truck etc etc is unlikely to be misidentified as a COM particularly if the savvy registrant knows to capitalize the 'C' and lower case the 'o'

Last edited:
•••
I was actually on the road yesterday and came across a truck with an ad on it with their domain, using a dot-co. But at first glance, even second glance I really had to be sure that it didn't mean dot-com. It actually looked confusing in a real-world visual. My first thought was that it was a typo and they forgot to add the "m" after the "co".

I was never a fan of dot-co before this, but after that encounter it kind of solidified it. I'm sure it works in certain scenarios but I think if it can confuse a domain investor surely can't bode well for the average Joe. I'm wondering how this would fare on a billboard, vehicles driving by too fast to make proper sense.

•••
Looking at the statistics, .co has a fairly large market share. Premium names make things a little harder, yes. But I do get a few solid premium names when the occasional discount comes up.
Moreover, renew fees for premium .co names stay at the base price, so I don't struggle with astronomical renew fees like many ngTLDs do.

This will be off-topic, but please stop replying to trolls. Aren't you tired of writing the same things to the same users over and over again in every topic?

As if they are not enough to steal your precious time and energy, they will continue to do the same indiscretion as you continue to feed them. Be cool, just ignore and move on.

•••
Every non-core TLD has a life cycle. The .CO ccTLD benefited from there being little competition (no new gTLDs) and its similarity to .COM. The launch of the new gTLDs introduced competition. It is currently a very different market to that when .CO launched. As for statistics, there are very few on the market share of .CO and most date to its peak a few years ago when the registry was claiming that there were 2 million registrations. The number of active .CO registrations may be much lower these days. A lot of brand protection registrations still exist but in terms of speculation, it has been overtaken by .XYZ and others.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back