Dynadot

Zero ad-revenue from domain parking (at Sedo and Bodis) - Not Worth It

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

yb1313

Established Member
Impact
I parked my domains with ads on two platform: Sedo and Bodis (through Dan), and (as an act of public service) I want to share the “results”.
I pointed most of my domains to Dan and configured the domain monetization service Bodis (still using Dan's landers but through Bodis which displays ads, one can configure it in the settings), and listed some of my domains on Sedo Parking. I will share the results of the past month, which represent the overall rather laughable experience:
  • On Sedo, where I parked roughly a hundred domains, during the past month the domains had 500 visitors, which overall earned an amount just shy of $1 (RPM - revenue per thousand visitors – was .61c as seen in the screenshot below)
  • With Bodis (using Dan landers), I parked several hundred domains, they got roughly 3000 visits in a month, their ads generated a handful one or two clicks, earning me a revenue of less than $1 - again (screenshot added).
Note that I own a portfolio of decent domains, in fact some have quite a few backlinks and thus regular monthly clicks.

Conclusion: During this period, ad-parking on these two platform generated virtually zero ad revenue, and I also had considerably less inquiries and sales than before. Therefore, I have returned to clean sales landing pages and am putting more effort into making them attractive (considering possibly brandable platforms for a few domains).
img 3 namepros.png

img 4 namepros.png

I did not have much experience with ad-parking prior and so I see this as a good learning experience. I know that others have had similar or sometimes better results but it appears that at this point in most cases ad-parking isn't worth it anymore compared to simple landing-sales pages (or of course a developed site if one is able to do it).
Hopefully, this info will be of assistance to some, and encourage parking services to improve their systems.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For my parking account, Bodis has been clearly outperforming Sedo parking within a matter of days. For almost 30 clicks on one domain, Sedo has $.02 revenue.

•••
I've never met or heard anyone praise sedo. they all put it bottom of list. so maybe i should revise my figure to 99.9%... for u that's good cause now yer ego gets to be in an even more exclusive elite club tire heheheh

I've sold many domains through sedo. It helps if you have domains are not over priced and you have a good account rep,

•••
I've sold many domains through sedo. It helps if you have domains are not over priced and you have a good account rep,
Is the key to have an account rep, i.e a domain broker?
Their domain brokerage had a for to submit, requesting a year of traffic stats. Having been with Godaddy, I had no traffic stats to offer, So it was basically a non-starter.
In terms of parking, though, I will say that they had the coolest graphics. I really got a kick out of seeing all the different nations "seeing" the domains. Thanks, Sedo, for that nifty feature! Admittedly, for me, the income is more important than the graphics.

Last edited:
•••

ps we were talking bout parking..none do with sales hehe

•••
Is the key to have an account rep, i.e a domain broker?
Hi

the "key" has always been having domains that people want to buy.
if you're a passive seller, like me, then it may take some time, years perhaps, for right buyer to offer right amount or purchase at BIN

sedo reps and afternic reps, don't sell names for you, but they can help expedite or resolve issues with deals.

"brokers" for each platform, are part of the profit centers.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for all your (mostly) constructive comments above. It should be noted, that no absolute case in favor of parking was made, as examples of specific profitable domains and months were given, without further details about how many months and domains it took to reach this profit.
You may for example get every month $200 from ads + 1 sale by listing 2000 domains, but maybe if you listed all of them nicely without ads you would have made $0 on ads but 3 sales? So @alcy even the best "parking knowledge" will not change much here.

@LoveCatchyDomains - as you seem to be interested in this topic, a friendly advice is to perhaps take a more throughout online course or research on the subject so you can master it:)

Personally my preference now is not to chase ad-revenue from various platforms just to try "breaking even", but rather to quickly list them ad-free and generate cool passive sales, while directing my focus on a few domains can actually be developed into something big.

•••
@LoveCatchyDomains - as you seem to be interested in this topic, a friendly advice is to perhaps take a more throughout online course or research on the subject so you can master it:)
Are there any specific online courses that you could recommend? Other useful websites that may be very helpful for learning more?

•••
Back