Domain Empire

.co $6 million wasted on .co registrations.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think .co will be a success?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    35.2%
  • No

votes
    47.4%
  • Unsure

votes
    17.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

$6 million wasted on .CO registrations.

I am somewhat surprised at the level of interest in .co over the last couple of days, from bloggers claiming it is now in the "top 4 extensions" and being worth 10% of a .com to others talking about developing these names and other madness.

A few comments about .co,

1. In my view the main appeal with this extension is typo traffic. Having said that, looking at some Alexa rankings, compete scores and Google Adwords data I would say only the very best generic .co's are going to get much traffic. The registry made a calculated decision when deciding to go public. The main area is likely to be ™ names (registry passes the buck). Even then it seems the registry has done a good job connecting with big sites. Still I think the ™ typo area is the main opportunity.

2. Considering point one, that these names are totally confusing, how does it makes sense to consider developing these names names.

Would you develop a misspell?
Would you develop a .cm?
Then why would you develop a .co?

The extension is going to be totally confusing for the average person on the street. .biz would be a better choice for development.

3. Reg fees - they aren't cheap and it is going to suck out a lot of the profitability from these names. Whatever value was there is 25% of that with reg fees 4 times higher than other extensions.

4. It's different this time! Isn't it?

.ws, .cc, .tv, .biz, .info, .us, .eu, .mobi, .tel, .me.

Supposedly with every new extension it is going to be different. There is always some compelling reason or argument as to why the latest extension will succeed where other have failed. People will debate it for the next year or two.

In reality it never is different. People get excited for a few months. .co is cool and new, and the fact that nobody actuallly uses it isn't that important yet, after all there is time for growth. Then interest wanes, things turn out not quite as planned. A year later everyone is dropping. People then get angry with the registry saying a lot was promised and not delivered.

Why do the same mistakes keep getting repeated? The registry is setting people up for today, the day when they part with their money and register 200,000 .co names. Most of the money goes into the launch and promoting premium auctions. Afterwards doesn't matter much. Get ready to be strung along a lot.

6. Staged sales/usage: You've been sold to!

disrupt.co, no_url_shorteners, o.co

There is not much genuine news in this. Disrupt.co was part of an advertising deal. Did you really think techcrunch just chose to use that name? o.co, a sale that appeared a few hours before the launch, the registry is pouring some fuel on the fire here. They want to get you excited for today.

7. Who is even using this extension?

This is .mobi all over again, instead of the big backers who weren't really backing (Google, Microsoft etc) we've got 3 well known sites supposedly adopting .co (Twitter, Overstock, Techcrunch), do you think these people will be anywhere near the extension in 12 months time? How significant is this usage anyway, a url shortener? Overstock doing a url redirect to their main site? Techcrunch promoting a site for a week or so?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
secondly it's a racial TLD... i mean seriously what's next? .negro? .latino? .white?

This comment makes no sense to me, "asia" isn't a race.

•••
This comment makes no sense to me, "asia" isn't a race.
His whole comment didn't make sense. But yet, it seems to explain so much!!

•••

Isn't Asia one of the seven continents, a geographical term?

:)

•••
•••
.asia is a stupid TLD because first of all, it's a long TLD, secondly it's a racial TLD... i mean seriously what's next? .negro? .latino? .white?, third it's restricted to people who lives in "asia" and fourth, what is "asia" anyways ?

Please read this! .asia isin't even slang for anything racial :-/
Asia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

•••
•••
Now that you have discovered asia, let's get back to what the thread is about... ;)

•••
•••
Hark! Do I hear the call of the 3D Showcase thread from yonder grave?

"Why me?, Why me?... it's so unfair..."

I can't even remember voting on the poll. I think its clear though.

The single best domain in the entire world has to be:

3d.co

Congratulations to the owner!

•••
I don't usually agree with Snoop but I am in complete agreement on .co. There are 457,605 .co domains registered and maybe 150 of those will sell in the next year. The year after that it will fall to 50. The opportunity to make money on any new extension decreases with each new landrush. There is a limited trickle down demand for alternative extensions and supply of new extensions is continually outstripping demand.

To stand a chance of making money in alternative extensions you have to own top 100 keywords or a significant % of the top 1,000 keywords so that when a domain sells, there is a good chance it is one of yours. Most people lose money or at least never recoup their initial outlay investing in .coms, alternative extension domaining is 100 times harder, and each new extension that comes along is less desirable and less profitable than the previous one.

•••
Haven't checked this thread for a while and now that I have, I have come to the conclusion that reality is an illusion created by a lack of drugs which means I probably picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...lol :D

These threads always, without fail, turn into something beyond surreal.

•••
I have registered around 9 .CO domain names. I don't see any typo traffic so far in last 20 days. Just my observation...

Will it have the same fate as .CC ?

But I think most of you would agree that hype created around .CO has is also increasing awareness among masses...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back