IT.COM

opinion Best prefix? dn/domain/domainname/name? [Poll/Discuss]

NameSilo
Watch

Best industry prefix?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • DN (e.g., DnExample.com)

• Domain (e.g., DomainExample.com)

• DomainName (e.g., DomainNameExample.com)

• Name (e.g., NameExample.com)

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.
In general, what is the best prefix of the following choices?
  • DnExample.com
  • DomainExample.com
  • DomainNameExample.com
  • NameExample.com
One consideration: Is "DN" generic enough to be understood by end users?

Take the poll and discuss, please.

Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain or name.

I mean go by the most generic example: Broker.

domainbroker.com
namebroker.com

These are both really good, "domain" is a bit more specific, which is good for SEO, and "name" is a bit shorter and more brandable.

dnbroker.com

This isn't good because it's of the form acronym + word, which is unusual and looks odd.

domainnamebroker.com

This isn't good because it's too long.

Last edited:
•••
Interesting question. (y)(y)

I think it also depends a lot on the ''example'' word, and more than it seems on the surface.

While I agree that both ''domain'' and ''name'' are probably the first two options to consider, to me it has to organically match the combo word, which preferably to be short.

DN - I like it (I have dnVoice, which I bought for myself). Sure lots of end users won't get it, but so they won't get the ''name'' in this contest. The whole domaining subject is quite specific. I actually would take ''dn'' with a better word, rather than ''name'' or ''domain'' with not so good ones.

DomainName - I agree is too long. Unless it's something like ''go'' or ''get'' - most likely it won't be catchy... Possible, but hard.

•••
Does it have to be one of those? Go Daddy seems to do well without domain or name in its name. I use BuyAny.com as one of my sites. That's perhaps a bit optimistic, but I hope it makes the point. Another of mine is Baronets.com which I use because it contains the word "net". Of course I've not been maintaining the sites, and that probably negates any advantages to be gained from the names.

•••
Does it have to be one of those?
Brandable domains are great but for this topic, just curious about the specific choices
Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
I like Domain or Name, DN_____ is more confusing for an enduser IMO, and DomainName_______ is just too long. I also noticed when looking for "domainer domains" the DN in the front is much more available then "domain" or "name" so it seems like most agree! Great question! (y)

•••
Also, while on this topic... I noticed some of the most OVERPRICED domain names out of all domains are the ones targeting domainers, do a search for words with "Name" or "Domain" in front, it's crazy! :oops: I'm assuming it's because we know the true value of what a great domain means, but there is loads for sale that are very poor quality and never sell because of the price!

Last edited:
•••
Hi

to me, the best,
is/are the one's that fits best with or compliments the second word or the suffix.

i've sold, wordnames/ dnkeyword /domainerkeyword and domainnamekeyword, so from that perspective it doesn't matter, if/when buyer pays asking price.

as is, very few "endusers" outside of domain world, will be interested in these types of domains.

still, requests to buy them come up once or twice every year, as aspiring domainers try to carve niches` in the game.

imo....

•••
If the poll winner is name, i thought:

Mike Mann will change his Domainmarket.com to Namemarket.com

Hugedomains.com will change to Hugenames.com

Buydomains.com will change to Buynames.com

DAN will rename to NAN

And Rick Schwartz now be will called Name King

:xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
I will create a Portfolio, starting with "DomXXXXX".com
X = 5 letters Dictionary word.

I also like DN, But end users could be confused by DN = Direct Number etc.
But in the industry itself, yes - DN is the word to go

•••
Those who have zero ideas of domains and have maybe a little immaturity can think of “DN” as “Deez n**s!”

“Direct Number” is at least more professional.

But i still see “DN” end users; one of my favorites; DNmask.com which turns your domains into puny code so they dont get indexed by Google.

I believe DNmask.com is the coolest one i hope more people do to their domains; before selling them on here; copy paste domains from “DNmask.com” my favorite “DN” website!

I lean towards [Name] as my favorite.
Just look at NameCheap, NameSilo etc…

“DN” would be my #2; however esoteric it seems.

Last edited:
•••
Just thought about it, i guess regular people could also feel that DNMarket.com, is related to DarkNet.
Well, you know, if you get CBD Advertisement besides your 3L com Domain.

•••
#1 NameExample (brandable and appeals to a wider audience), One of the reasons why we chose NameGulf.com, we're just getting started with Domain Marketplace and we have plans to go beyond

#2 DomainExample (appeals to niche / domain audience)

•••
I will create a Portfolio, starting with "DomXXXXX".com
X = 5 letters Dictionary word.

I also like DN, But end users could be confused by DN = Direct Number etc.
But in the industry itself, yes - DN is the word to go

To me Dom is a clear shot for ''domination'', not ''domain''.

•••
DN for industry insiders
Domain for end users
DomainName for SEO
Name for Kabbalah and Kabbalists and Debby the Numbers Lady and Shakespeare and Mothers naming babies

Namebot could go a lot of ways

"A name by any other rose would smell as sweet"

If you aim to plant a rose garden, variety is nice.

Cool poll

•••
Domain.

I think it is the shortest and most instantly meaningful prefix.

•••
  • DnExample.com
  • DomainExample.com
  • DomainNameExample.com
  • NameExample.com

Thank you!
Choosing the "best" prefix for a domain largely depends on the nature of the website, its purpose, and its target audience. However, some prefixes are commonly used and can be considered versatile and effective.Visit my profile thenanath.com
  • DnExample.com
  • DomainExample.com
  • DomainNameExample.com
  • NameExample.com

Thank you!

•••
It's a tie between Domain and Name but they will fit better or worse depending on the keyword, for example:
DomainSeller > NameSeller
NameWizard > DomainWizard

I voted for name, because I think it's more universal.

Last edited:
•••
I think it depends who your end user is. If it's domainers, I think we all know what "DN" stands for, so in that case, that may be the best along with "domain", because they are the shortest and convey what they need to convey. In the case of a user, "brand" or "domain name" prefixes may be necessary. "Name" can also work, but it may not convey that it's about domain names and branding.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Note....this was posted on the wrong thread yesterday, but should have been posted here...DUH!

No one really cares what I think, but for $10.43 DomainDestiny.com is available to register, and the POS Go Daddy values it @ $1,514. Also, registered for 23 + years, but just dropped. I don't own it as of this very moment, but for $10.43 wtf:xf.wink:

ps. i guess i just broke the tie domain vs name:ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back