domains James Booth sells Galatea.com for $275K

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
James Booth posted on Twitter/X that he sold Galatea.com for $275,000. A name from Greek Mythology you can read more here. There is a developed website on GetGalatea.com. They describe themselves as the world’s fastest-growing reading app. Congrats to James

Read More

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hate these sales. It’s tm infringing but good for him. They should’ve went the udrp route.

Galatea isn’t generic fyi. He’s taken a page out of Mike Mann book.

Last edited:
•••
I hate these sales. It’s tm infringing but good for him. They should’ve went the udrp route.
Well the TM would be enforced in Ancient Greece

The name comes from Greek Mythology

Galatea (/ˌɡæləˈtiːə/; Greek: Γαλάτεια; "she who is milk-white")[1] is a name popularly applied to the statue carved of ivory alabaster by Pygmalion of Cyprus, which then came to life in Greek mythology.

Galatea is also the name of a sea-nymph, one of the fifty Nereids (daughters of Nereus) mentioned by Hesiod and Homer.[2] In Theocritus Idylls VI and XI she is the object of desire of the one-eyed giant Polyphemus and is linked with Polyphemus again in the myth of Acis and Galatea in Ovid's Metamorphoses.[3] She is also mentioned in Virgil's Eclogues and Aeneid.[4]

Etymology​

Though the name "Galatea" has become so firmly associated with Pygmalion's statue as to seem antique, its use in connection with Pygmalion originated with a post-classical writer. No extant ancient text mentions the statue's name,[5][6] although Pausanias mentions a statue of Calm, Galene (γαλήνης).[7] As late as 1763, a sculpture of the subject shown by Falconet at the Paris Salon (see illustration) carried the title Pygmalion aux pieds de sa statue qui s'anime ("Pygmalion at the feet of his statue that comes to life"). That sculpture, currently at the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, now bears the expected modern title Pygmalion and Galatea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatea_(mythology)

•••
Well the TM would be enforced in Ancient Greece

The name comes from Greek Mythology

Galatea (/ˌɡæləˈtiːə/; Greek: Γαλάτεια; "she who is milk-white")[1] is a name popularly applied to the statue carved of ivory alabaster by Pygmalion of Cyprus, which then came to life in Greek mythology.

Galatea is also the name of a sea-nymph, one of the fifty Nereids (daughters of Nereus) mentioned by Hesiod and Homer.[2] In Theocritus Idylls VI and XI she is the object of desire of the one-eyed giant Polyphemus and is linked with Polyphemus again in the myth of Acis and Galatea in Ovid's Metamorphoses.[3] She is also mentioned in Virgil's Eclogues and Aeneid.[4]

Etymology​

Though the name "Galatea" has become so firmly associated with Pygmalion's statue as to seem antique, its use in connection with Pygmalion originated with a post-classical writer. No extant ancient text mentions the statue's name,[5][6] although Pausanias mentions a statue of Calm, Galene (γαλήνης).[7] As late as 1763, a sculpture of the subject shown by Falconet at the Paris Salon (see illustration) carried the title Pygmalion aux pieds de sa statue qui s'anime ("Pygmalion at the feet of his statue that comes to life"). That sculpture, currently at the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, now bears the expected modern title Pygmalion and Galatea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatea_(mythology)
Irrelevant. There is an established company named the same.

•••
Irrelevant. There is an established company named the same.
Keith how is it irrelevant? Galatea.com was registered in 1995, 23 years before the reading app was founded in 2018.

•••
Keith how is it irrelevant? Galatea.com was registered in 1995, 23 years before the reading app was founded in 2018.
You cannot be serious.

Do you think Galatea is generic? The domain creation date has nothing to do with a unique brand.

Tea is generic. Gala is generic. I hate that folks really believe the bullshit of selling these types.

•••
•••
It’s like saying Apple and computers are unique so selling Applecomputers.com is good.

•••
You cannot be serious.

Do you think Galatea is generic? The domain creation date has nothing to do with a unique brand.

Tea is generic. Gala is generic. I hate that folks really believe the bullshit of selling these types.
you cannot be serious. This is nothing about Gala and Tea The name Galatea comes from Greek Mythology. With it's own Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatea_(mythology)

Secondly you believe that if someone registered a domain name in 1995 that if 25 years later someone named their business that, they get the name for free. They just send an email and say "Hey I know you owned this name before I was born, but I just named my Startup this and fully registered as a business, you now need to give me this name?"

Last edited:
•••
Have to say I see no TM issues here. Great sale.

•••
Terrific sale. It's a steal.

Congrats to Galatea, all her sisters, and of course the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
Can anyone explain how gala and tea combined is generic? It’s not tea. It’s not gala.

If it was green tea I’d understand. How is gala related to tea? I’ll wait… oh hold on it’s a unique brand created and marketed to have its own identity.

Holy moly how people applaud infringement on established brands!

This is ransom at its finest.

Last edited:
•••
You cannot be serious.

Sorry which of these 726 companies has the rights to the name?

Attachments

• IMG_7120.png
    IMG_7120.png
    293 KB · Views: 65
•••
•••
Can anyone explain how gala and tea combined is generic? It’s not tea. It’s not gala.

If it was green tea I’d understand. How is gala related to tea? I’ll wait… oh hold on it’s a unique brand created and marketed to have its own identity.

It's like you're not reading any of the prior replies.

•••
•••
Wow. That is some expensive tea.

•••
•••
I guess there’s a reason that the biggest and most successful domainers don’t engage here.

✌️

•••
I guess there’s a reason that the biggest and most successful domainers don’t engage here.

✌️
Instead of this, you could also choose to discuss the content of @equity78's Wikipedia link.

Last edited:
•••
•••

✌️
Slamming them for no good reason isn't helping. Basically going at Booth and Mann in one thread. This was a good sale, your posts come off as hating, many people have made posts explaining it, you seem to skip them all over or don't address the posts directly.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••

Why are you splitting it in Gala + Tea !?
Galatea is a single word
Here in Europe is widely known

Last edited:
•••
Lol.

Edit:
On a serious note. Nice sale!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back