IT.COM

Bank wins 'sucks' domain case, but protest sites OK

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
US bank Wachovia Corporation is now the proud owner of the domain name wachovia-sucks.com, together with two similar names, following an arbitrator's ruling. But the ruling accepted that 'sucks' domains can be protected if they relate to protest sites.

Franklin noted that in this case there was no protest site, or even preparations to establish one. Instead, the domain names led to rival financial products and services.

So, while some 'sucks' domains were protected under free speech rights, the mere fact of having a 'sucks' domain did not create that protection.

Instead, said Franklin:

"one must look to the content of the web site to determine if there is an exercise of free speech which allows the Respondent to rely on the fair use exception. To do otherwise would legitimise cybersquatters, who intentionally redirect traffic from a famous mark, simply through the use of a derogatory term".

Source: http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=bankwinssucks1066211981&area=news

Good to know if you own any protest domains! DEVELOP THEM!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Originally posted by -RJ-
Good to know if you own any protest domains! DEVELOP THEM!

One of these days... :)

Good info, RJ. Thanks.

•••
•••
what do you thik will happen to paypalsucks.com now?

•••
Originally posted by Josh
what do you thik will happen to paypalsucks.com now?

This case should strengthen their right to own and use the name. It's becoming clear in several judicial venues that it's not a violation to use a 'sucks' domain.

•••
Time for me to dig up some "sucks" domain names, hehehe

•••
wow very nice info i think i will get some too.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back