IT.COM

advice Bought a TM

Spaceship
Watch

DNGear

Swetha.xyzAccount Closed (Requested)
Impact
hi all,

Just bought a Domain xxxxx.GTLD. (xxxxxGTLD is the TM)
I forgot to check the TM before.

Pl advice me what to do??

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you grace delete it and get your money back? If so, that's what I would recommend doing.

•••
I bought it in GD. I dont know whether it has any grace period. I will contact the CC.
Thanks for ur reply.

•••
I did not know we could get a refund for a newly registered domain.

Does GoDaddy have that option?

I registered a TM last week without knowing it. A few hours later I found out about the TM so I simply deleted the domain from my account.

Had I known about that grace period, I would have used it.

•••
Dynadot lets you grace delete right from the interface and even shows you how many hours you have remaining to do it next to your newly purchased name.

I've always had to call Godaddy to grace delete and the customer service rep did it manually and then processed a manual refund.

•••
Call GoDaddy and ask for a refund on the domain, depending on when it was registered and if the registry has a grace period or not you will be able to get refund in many cases.

•••
You can also use GoDaddy chat. I have grace delete from it. They just issue a credit back to your account though.

•••
use it once for godaddy too. wrong spelling lol... called CS to delete and no hassle at all. But i think they have a time frame for that. so better hurry...

•••
can't i create a website in my home country(Which is not USA) using that Domain(TM)?

Infact, its a generic keyword

Thanks

•••
if you want to delete, call CC and ask them to delete so they can refund it. I have done in Name.com

•••
Grace delete, as others have said, is an option.

But keeping it is an option too, especially if it isn't a huge company trademark. remember, TM protection is only for a specific segment of the product. For example if the TM is for a food product, you would likely be allowed to use the name for a line of office products. So if the name is worth some extra work, look into it deeper and see if you might still be able to market it for a different use than the current TM. This assumes that you truly did register it on accident and didn't have any intent to gain from their goodwill. Also this is easier with a small company as the big company can harass you even though you are technically in the right. Unless you have deep pockets or it is an extremely valuable domain, it likely isn't going to be worth the fight to you. A small company may not ever even notice.

With regards to foreign countries, that is a great point. I have mentioned before that I typically check US, Canada and EU for TM issues on anything more than a minimal purchase. TM's are good only in the country they were issued, though most big companies are savvy enough to register their TM's in every country they do business in. So if it is not registered in your country, or area, then you can surely use the domain. But if your intent is to sell it, the market for potential buyers may be greatly reduced.

•••
•••
I think the grace period for refunds at GD is 5 days.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back