NameSilo

CIRA Pulls Out Of ICANN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers has announced that one of its constituents, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority, has suspended its involvement with the Internet governing body until it revises its policies and practices.

On March 17th CIRA Published and Open Letter to ICANN demanding Accountability, Transparency and Fair Processes.

CIRA is concerned by ICANN's recent approval of VeriSign's continued control of the .com top-level domain. ICANN also recently announced plans to decide on the controversial .XXX sponsored top-level domain at its meeting in Wellington, New Zealand.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
With all the domain owners, dealers/investors like us, and even many registrar companies, complaining about these issues, it is about time that a root registry stood-up. Thumbs-Up to CIRA's Board of Directors :tu: for taking such a bold stand. Maybe if a few more do as CIRA, and ICANN looses all those millions in funds, they will be forced to come-out from behind those curtains and realize that they do not govern us or the web, but rather represent us ;) Despite not being a Canadian citizen, therefor not having .ca names due to their restrictions, I felt so good reading that, that I just sent off a nice little "thank you" from domainers as a whole to the CIRA Board of Directors :)

•••
I'm very happy that CIRA did this too, this is the first I found out about it though. I know this thread is a bit old too but thumbs up to CIRA as well.

•••
CAn someone give me more info about Verisign? Im a semi-noob.

•••
Falian said:
CAn someone give me more info about Verisign? Im a semi-noob.

Basically Verisign and Network Solutions are the same thing. They were given control over the .COM TLD by ICANN. Not a lot people liked it since nobody really likes NetSol.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back