NameSilo

domains .com Dead or Alive? - long Live .com

Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
As you probably know, the internet's domain names are dominated by a single three-letter ending: "com".

What you probably don't know is the sheer scale of dot-com's dominance. There are roughly 116.5m domains ending in ".com" - more than all of the 25 next largest registries combined.
domains-piechart-s.jpg
Donuts argues that its domains - ending in everything from dot-agency to dot-zone - are "fresh, semantically meaningful and, in comparison, widely available". Names under these new extensions "aren’t comprised of 'reused' names that others have thrown away".

Never mind that dot-com added nearly as many new names last year as all of the 400 new extensions combined.
dotcom-stats.jpg
It may seem a little rich for new gTLD operators to claim the crown when even they will admit they have seen a lackluster take-up of their flash new endings. As you can see from the graphic below, new gTLDs barely register in the wider market, despite being the hot ticket and making more noise than anyone else.
B617bwpIMAE-QG5.jpg
"I wish the industry would stop putting so much energy into telling us that the other guys are bums," he adds. "It may be a Coke and Pepsi thing and we are unlikely to see everyone get together to promote cola-based drinks, but it would be great to have a kumbaya moment in this industry."
Full Article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/24/dotcom_is_dead_long_live_dotcom/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How about a chart showing number of regs in the first year of existence - including .com.

•••
How about a chart showing number of regs in the first year of existence - including .com.

Wow, somebody else said that the other day:

I'll just copy and paste my reply:

"How long it took .com? You mean back before browsers and they couldn't even be used for sites? First .com, 1985. First website wasn't even until 1991. The only true gold rush in the mid 90's, 10 years after the first .com. You're not the first person to try to bring up that point, and it's straight up ridiculous."

https://www.namepros.com/threads/fo...for-new-internet-domains.845592/#post-4775038

I can't believe we have people on this forum posting that kind of nonsense. First year .com regs, unbelievable.

.com has almost 116,000,000 regs

only 3 new gtlds have broken 100,000, 2 of them with mass giveaways

We would have to break out the microscope if you put the new gtlds on the chart above.

It's going to be interesting to me who here is going to hold on the longest as it starts to crumble. And which people finally start to get it. It won't take long either.

Last edited:
•••
And this is new how? lol

•••
It's going to be interesting to me who here is going to hold on the longest as it starts to crumble. And which people finally start to get it. It won't take long either.

Come on JB you'll warm up eventually and reg a couple cool gTLDs. :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back