Domain Empire

Copyright?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I

.ie

Hello,
I have been wondering this for a while: If i create a template for a site and then put copyright (name) at the bottom, would it really be copyrighted? i dont think so, but someone has said that this is true. basically as soon as something is created, it is automatically copyrighted is what i was told, what I think is you must submit it in either the u.s.a or your country before it is copyrighted. Could someone please tell me which is correct?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope, you gotta go through lawyers and register the name to get it copyrighted

•••
so the template would not be automatically copyrighted? If so, then how is it that people make claims that their creations are automatically copyrighted? It is a bit confusing because there is a web site that is saying that anything published on a web site is automatically copyrighted. i will try to get the url, i dont remember it but i have it in an email.

•••
Original works of authorship are automatically subject to copyright as soon as they are fixed in tangible form. Your friend is correct, and the second poster here is incorrect.

You may choose to register your copyright with the US Copyright Office of the Library of Congress, to obtain additional advantages in enforcing your copyright. Typically, if you enforce an unregistered copyright, you may obtain an injunction against infringement. Registration qualifies you for recovering monetary damages.

It hardly requires a lawyer to register a copyright. Most of what you need to know, including the forms for submitting your work for registration, is right here:

http://www.copyright.gov/

•••
jberryhill said:
Original works of authorship are automatically subject to copyright as soon as they are fixed in tangible form. Your friend is correct, and the second poster here is incorrect.

You may choose to register your copyright with the US Copyright Office of the Library of Congress, to obtain additional advantages in enforcing your copyright. Typically, if you enforce an unregistered copyright, you may obtain an injunction against infringement. Registration qualifies you for recovering monetary damages.

It hardly requires a lawyer to register a copyright. Most of what you need to know, including the forms for submitting your work for registration, is right here:

http://www.copyright.gov/

Thanks for Answering this Question JB (Though you've done it Numerous times in the past :) ).

Folks - A lot of these questions are already asked and answered in here - Just use the Handy Dandy Search Box at the Top of the Forum. - Thanks :blink:

Also - DJ_Guvana - If you have no Expertise in these things ... Please DO NOT ANSWER these questions ~

•••
You should consider a sticky for copyright FAQ's concerning domains and internet content.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back