NameSilo

Cutting yourself?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vip-ip

Account Closed
Impact
A friend of mine cuts himself. (s)he has cuts on his arm, and (s)he said that (s)he tried to kill (him)(her)self, there's a cut on his/her neck. He/she said that as you look on the blood and think of a person that makes you angry, it makes her/him feel better.

What can I do to help my friend and maybe save his/her life?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Theres a thread about it on my forums, with 200+ replies, that may help you.

Clicky

(Join up and ask for advice and youll get a lot of help) :)

•••
I used to cut myself when I was at my worst of depression, but when a friend of mine was so badly injured I stoped pretty fast. I have a few scars and stuff, but it's nothing massive and I though it helped me focus on the pain on the outside then the inside (well, the pain is insaide, but you get the picture). I'm glad I stopped though, but I can't say I'm much of a help. I went to a psychologist to get my probelms fixed and that's how I got over it... I see no other way then asking him/her to do the same and make sure you are kind with them and incurage them even though if they havn't done anything massive. Self esteem would be the keyword for help in this IMHO.

Sorry to hear about your friend, hope you manage to help him/her!

Best of luck!

•••
That's a pretty wild thing to do. How can seeing blood actually help you to reduce your anger? The thought of blood disgusts me.

•••
I've had some pretty low points in my life so far. I don't know what it is, but suicide or cutting myself never entered my mind. It was pretty bad stuff too, I used to get bullied basically every minute of every day at school and I never told anyone about it?

Know how I got over it? I told people, they listed, gave me advice and I listened. I kept thinking "This will stop, it has to stop soon" - and it did! Now, I enjoy school and things are going well for me.

The moral? Tell "your friend" to try and look on the bright side of whatever it is that is causing his/her depression. Always think of this bright side, never let it of your mind. Life is hard, we all know that, but remember, bad points only last a small while of your, hopefully, long life.

Pyschiatrists can also help. The main fear is that they will "laugh at you". Don't think this. It's their job to listen and help, not to mock. That's what they get paid to do. Tell them, I'm sure they'll have had lots of experience and will be able to offer suitable advice.

Could you tell us what causes "your friend's" depression?

•••
IMO, the best thing to help is, well you!

Talk to them, my best friend used to do it, and i love him too much to see him hurting himself, so i basically told him that his life could be so much worse.... =)

•••
Well, it'a a she, actually, and SHE broke up with her bf recently. I asked her please not to cut herself, and she didnt. She's emotional, and she says, when she actually starts having fun with someone they break ^ with her, they say thats because she cuts and they think she's crazy. Because of that, she gets upset and cuts herself even more :$ that's kind of weird, but OK, I'll try to help her.

I shouldnt really be talking about this. Thanks for an advice though.

•••
I never really have problems with people. Most people seem to like (In fact my friends' GF has a pic of me by her bed!). But those who don't like me, just get ignored or seen to by my friends.
Although when I was younger I got bullied a lot. I don't tend to tell people my problems, but others ALWAYS offload them onto me. Strange.....

•••
If your friend cuts himself just because someone makes him angry, that is sad. Tell him to do something about it and convince him that cutting himself is not the way to go, that's jut being a coward. Seriously, why would you cut yourself just because your angry at someone. The only real reason i would see a person for cutting themselves is because they're sad and depressed. If he is a man he would do something like punch the wall or something :P

Anyways, just tell him that cutting himself isn't worth it. Noone wants to die without getting laid :D

•••
Noone wants to die without getting laid >> good thinking ;)

•••
Just trying talking to her and tell her its not worth cutting over getting dumped for another girl.

•••
My girlfriend recently told me that she cuts... i took it hard cause i love her... I got her help, there is a device that someone like this can get that will automatically call 911 if it detects anything like cutting. This was just last week actually, and this is something someone should do something about... your friend might hate you for telling her/his parents... but in the long run you could have saved his/her life... there is a lot of main veins in the body... wrist... thigh... you dont want to cut one...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back