Domain Empire

Cybe squat rights

Spaceship
Watch
cybeR squat rights

a thread ran on the legal aspect of cybersquat.

have just thought through the issues again and here's my
question

1. most biggies TM like microsoft are out of bounds
2. what about film stars names?
3. it cannot be they want every name under every country tld?
4. what about typos ??

eg kylieminogue.com
kyliminoque.com
kylieminogues.com

ectera ectera:gn:

dont want to start a war here, just N-I-C-E posts pleaze

thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Possible to lose under UDRP, IMHO. MUCH will depend on WHY you registered the domain name, and what is on the actual website/content/intent. Political names, same thing, though there are some further potential protections here for "freedom of speech", etc.
Generally, I would advise against registering domain names with any intent to profit from a famous person's name, as I view it.
B-)

•••

A well-known case is the one involving Julia Roberts. The squatter - some guy named Russell Boyd - was eventually 'forced' to hand over the name to the actress.

Still there have been cases where stars have lost their domain names. It is advisable to steer clear of trademarked or famous names. Even typos are frowned upon.

Then again, domain speculators have been known to like living dangerously. Let the lawyers notice come....:D

•••
profit is the game but....if one wants wants to set-up a fan site,
the name would have to be used some where....the filmstaar might be flattered???

what about computer games? obviously ALL names are traded marked ...so how so you use them on a LEGAL way..

playstation
psx
xbox
final fantasy.....matrix....etc are ALL... i am not sure whether they
are the TM owners....so?

:gl:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back