IT.COM

Data Protection Act?

Spaceship
Watch

PoorDoggie

Soon to be RICHdoggie!VIP Member
Impact
Heya.

I want to start a site, based on the phpbb forum software architecture, where people can register and such. Basically, the site will mainly be a forum, but with other "members only" sections branching off.

From what you know, is there any law that prohibits me to store users' information? I have heard something about the Data Protection Act, but I am not sure what that is, and if it affects me.

Thanks in advance
Tom

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
PoorDoggie said:
Heya.

I want to start a site, based on the phpbb forum software architecture, where people can register and such. Basically, the site will mainly be a forum, but with other "members only" sections branching off.

From what you know, is there any law that prohibits me to store users' information? I have heard something about the Data Protection Act, but I am not sure what that is, and if it affects me.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Yes, the data protection act is something that any site which stores users information is meant to sign and comform to. As far as I know, failure to do so can lead to a £2k fine. Although I know of nonone who has actually signed up to the data protection act.

•••
so do you mean, if I just have a forum then I am supposed to sign the data protection act?

:o $%*&^!

Is there a fee? :$::$::$::$:

•••
PoorDoggie said:
so do you mean, if I just have a forum then I am supposed to sign the data protection act?

:o $%*&^!

Is there a fee? :$::$::$::$:

If you keep info such as DoB and address then yes.

•••
Thats a damn good law and i really like it except that i would never sign into such a contract paying 2000 bucks and run a site that wont get me even 1000 bucks a year
Its all for the big guys..not for us

•••
Thanks zeeble

xyris I think the £2000 is if you don't sign it! :)

Phpbb dosen't collect information like Address and DOB, so I should be ok right?

Name, Password (for my site - md5 encrypted), Email address and anything else that phpbb collects are all that I have! :)

•••
the data protection act is a law not a contract,

If you use the phpBB sign up page then there should be no problem as there is an agreement on that which people have to agree too before they get an account. Also consider ensuring you have email validation turned on this will stop someone putting someone else's details in, if they do then the account will never be enabled.

•••
filth said:
the data protection act is a law not a contract,

If you use the phpBB sign up page then there should be no problem as there is an agreement on that which people have to agree too before they get an account. Also consider ensuring you have email validation turned on this will stop someone putting someone else's details in, if they do then the account will never be enabled.
Great thanks, that is what I needed to know! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back