NameSilo

Google adds WHOIS feature - Pulled after one day

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

aww

Established Member
Impact
I am trying to find someone who grabbed a screenshot of this, but Google actually had a WHOIS: website.com feature for a few hours today before it was pulled.

They were using some business's whois link at www.ratite.com which got overwhelmed and networks solutions killed it.

It might come back hopefully as it would be darn handy sometimes. Google keeps their own massive whois database so they should be using their own data anyway.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
why did netsol killed it?

•••
To much traffic :bah:

<snip>the service generated enough traffic to surpass Network Solutions' (NSI's) daily Whois use limits, which aim to stop spammers and other undesirables from harvesting information about its customers.<snip>

http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5148551.html

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
go to google and search for "whois google.com".

Apparently they added a whois feature without telling anyone, so if someone typed in: whois namepros.com it would get the information. but netsol filtered out the queries as it used up over their daily whois bandwidth.

•••
ahhh now i understand, i had no clue what anyone was talking about until crusader haha

•••
well let us know when it comes back if you notice

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back