Dynadot

Google affiliate network is CLOSING!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just what the title says - they're getting out of the affiliate network business. So far, no details when this is going to happen.

More on their blog - Googleaffiliatenetwork-blog.blogspot.com

Wow. Just - wow.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, very light on details too - "wind down the product over the next few months"

I'm going to have a lot of updating to do, but I guess it's better to get it done during Spring/Summer, so I'm ready for Q4. Some merchants at GAN have programs elsewhere already, so can do those now.

All those merchants need to find some new homes. Will be interesting to see this all play out.

What's weird is just 4 days ago, they're announcing new merchants to the network - http://ganuiannounce.blogspot.com/2013/04/new-advertisers-0412_12.html

I would have figured if this was planned for awhile, they wouldn't be accepting new merchants. I would be mad.

Also, I have 0 emails about any of this. Heard from a merchant, they didn't hear a peep from GAN about this either.

Last edited:
•••
I have to wonder if this is also a precursor to them being even tougher on affiliates overall? Despite their own involvement, they never liked that business model. Also, this gives them free reign to compete in virtually every commercial sector ( Like they're currently doing in travel and financial) and of course further promote PLA's.

I only have one merchant on GAN and they recently got onto CJ, so not a big shakeup for me personally, but it will be interesting to see how things play out once they bury GAN...

•••
Based on the types of merchants over on GAN, most will either go to CJ or Linkshare, CJ should will probably get more, then after that, Avantlink or Shareasale.

Linkshare was pretty quick with a blog post about it today, trying to get some of that business - http://blog.linkshare.com/2013/04/google-opts-out-of-affiliate-marketing/?fb_source=pubv1

Awhile back, I went thru the top 500 merchants and CJ had more than Linkshare and GAN combined, and I prefer CJ over the other networks. So hopefully most open up over there.

Just looking over my sites again today, I'm going to have a busy Summer. In the end, I think it's for the best. I never liked them having an affiliate network.

Just read this on an affiliate managers blog, one with merchants at GAN:

"Merchants currently on GAN will have till the end of July 2013 to move their affiliate program to another network …"

Last edited:
•••
So apparently they informed the merchants. Gee - that was nice of them. If I had just moved my program over there, I'd be seriously pissed.

They kept this acquisition just long enough to get a big chunk of juicy data ;). Now it remains to be seen what they do with it.

I'm almost certain they're going to expand on CPA bidding in Adwords. You may or may not know this, but certain "special" merchants already have the option of doing CPA bidding instead of CPC on PLA's (Product Listing Ads)

Currently you can only run product ads on the search network - I wonder if they're thinking of bringing them to the display network also? Effectively merging an affiliate model into their Adwords/Adsense ecosystem?

Last edited:
•••
Awhile back, I went thru the top 500 merchants and CJ had more than Linkshare and GAN combined, and I prefer CJ over the other networks. So hopefully most open up over there.

Agreed. Always have done better with CJ as well.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

I have to wonder if this is also a precursor to them being even tougher on affiliates overall?

I wonder if they are concerned about internet sales taxes that keep coming to more & more states, and possibly (eventually, probably) at the federal level. The regulations & record keeping will be a nightmare.

•••
As the network, they would be unaffected by that. Don't know how it might come into play as far as for example displaying CPA ads on search, but the tax burden, if any, would still fall on the merchant.

As far as nexus taxes, federal level would be better than all the state by state nonsense. Either require it or don't.

•••
You may or may not know this, but certain "special" merchants already have the option of doing CPA bidding instead of CPC on PLA's (Product Listing Ads)

Yep, I remember posting about that elsewhere when it first came out back in 2009 - http://adwords.blogspot.com/2009/11/announcing-product-listing-ads.html

I know then, it was open only to merchants at GAN.

I saw somebody post this today, it looks like some GAN employees don't even know about this, in response to somebody asking about it:

"Hello,

The news you heard about Google Affiliate Network is not correct. Google Affiliate Network is not closing down.

Sincerely,

Affiliate Publisher Support | Google Affiliate Network"

Saw this too:

"Beginning May 1st, you will no longer have any support from GAN, but tracking will continue."

Closing up quick.

People/merchants/affiliate managers etc. aren't too happy finding out about this from a blog post/their affiliates.

Last edited:
•••
Yep, I remember posting about that elsewhere when it first came out back in 2009 - http://adwords.blogspot.com/2009/11/...sting-ads.html

I know then, it was open only to merchants at GAN.

Makes some sense that they did that starting out.

Really bad, the way they broke the news! And weird that they're in such a hurry. What are they up to?

•••
Have no idea. I guess they're finally sending emails out, haven't got mine yet but this is the message:

"We plan to disable publisher relationships from advertiser programs on July 31, 2013. Publisher payments will be disbursed for network activity generated through this date. We will continue to make certain functionality available through October 31, 2013 for retrieving reports, reconciling orders, and processing payments."

•••
The only thing I want to promote is second life, wherever that go.

Second life is till GAN only.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Just what the title says - they're getting out of the affiliate network business. So far, no details when this is going to happen.

More on their blog - Googleaffiliatenetwork-blog.blogspot.com

Wow. Just - wow.

31 July is the closing day.

•••
The funny thing, was that the same week it was announced, I still got a couple of emails asking me to join some merchants.

•••
I hope second life is available on some other country.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back