Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

G_C

Established Member
Impact
Full story here (courtesy of CNN.com):

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/02/07/google/index.html

Google blacklists BMW Web site

CNN) -- Google has blocked the German Web site of BMW after accusing the car maker of trying to manipulate search results.

The company was blacklisted for using so-called "doorway pages," using search terms such as "new cars" and "used cars" to boost its ranking in search results lists.

Such pages can be used to trick search engines into sending users to Web sites that are not directly related to the search terms they are searching for.

Google says it will temporarily or permanently suspend any site that breaks its rules. BMW denies any wrongdoing.

A Google spokeswoman said: " We can confirm that BMW.de has been removed from our search results. We never comment on the specifics of individual cases but we would stress that the quality of our index and search results is of the utmost importance to Google.

"We cannot tolerate Web sites trying to manipulate search results as we aim to provide users with the relevant and objective search results.

"Google may temporarily or permanently ban any site or site authors that engage in tactics designed to distort their rankings or mislead users in order to preserve the accuracy and quality of our search results.

"We will re-include sites if we are sure that they are no longer trying to violate our quality guidelines."

Many Web sites choose to "optimize" their ranking by working on the site content and architecture so that Google can effectively rank it.

On Google's own Web site, the company lists a series of quality guidelines.

First among those is a requirement to design Web sites for users, not for search engines.

"Don't deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users, which is commonly referred to as 'cloaking,'" Google says.

BMW spokesman Marc Hassinger said the company did not consider the use of "doorway" pages to be a manipulation.

He said the pages had been created to direct people who were interested in topics related to BMW -- such as used cars -- to the right pages.

The "doorway" pages were removed last Thursday after criticism surfaced on a blog written by a Google staffer, he said.

He added the company was in talks with Google and he was confident the site would be reinstated. He said 0.4 percent of traffic to the BMW.de Web site came through Google.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
weird, you know i checked that this morning and no returns..... Bizarre... I guess google commuted their ban

•••
I am in the UK,
I get the following results:
Results 1 - 10 of about 29,400 from bmw.de for . (0.22 seconds

•••
ridesign1 said:
I am in the UK,
I get the following results:
Results 1 - 10 of about 29,400 from bmw.de for . (0.22 seconds

yep looks like they have been reincluded, if you look at the cached dates on the pages, they were all read yesterday

•••
•••
staskul read the whole thread!!!

They have now been reinstated.

•••
•••
how does a doorway work? Any examples?
A doorway site/cloaked site, will display the page(s) differently for a user as to a search engine. A user will see a normal site where as the SE gets a keyword stuffed page. This is done with an instant javascript redirect.
Heres an example site, using black hat cloaking and having a joke by linking to a google employees blog with spam links.
Visit www.elursrebmem.ws theres not much on it huh.
Now visit googles cache for this page http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:QTEFcK9uCO4J:www.elursrebmem.ws/+&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1
And you can see how the cloaking tricks the search engines.

Google has made an example of bmw because hundreds of thousands of websites are now cloaking and google cant possibly stop them all. The fact one of googles search engine staff www.mattcutts.com/blog has blogged about this shows they want the blackhat SEO world to see this and they hope this will put off alot of them. But with software for cloaking as low as $80 which can give you over 10,000 doorwar pages, i cant see that happening.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back