ugnali

UGNALIEstablished Member
Impact
they said that they will sue me for the domains:

bosshugo.com
boss-hugo.com
bosshugo.biz

I told them go ahead.
My bosses name is Cameron Hugo, and i got it for him.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ok i replied on your other thread and this is what i have to add after seeing the email.

Dont listen to IDENTITY-OO
Thats a bad idea and is proof of bad intent, and we could still find you if we were Hugo Boss.
Dont be fooled by everyone saying good for you for standing up to them, because they more than likley would not fight.
Remember its not there money its yours you will lose, and after reviewing this case your better off not to speek or toy with them.
DONT offer an amount that is the Biggest mistake.
I would offer you this FREE advise let them make an offer and take it,or give the name as a GOOD FAITH intent and maybe you could be on there X-mas list.

For any law info please vist SecureYours.com we explain it all.

Francois Dejon

•••
Guys, ill be sure to ask my parents(lawyers) about it, i know they are not tm lawyers but they may have some understanding to this. The way i see it is Hugo Boss has no real suit against you, don't give up easly, if you have plans to develop it into a thing for your boss or somthing with your boss experinces with hugo then do it. From what i have heard if you have the name of a person like yourself or your boss this would be an eaiser case to win. Plus they really cant do anything if its not in the same line of work or the same thing, like a company like them. Ill ask the parents, what ever you do dont make any decisions till you have a talk with a real tm lawyer, or someone who knows what their talking about. Ill look into it a little but your best bet is talking to the company that will help you (url listed above) for cheap or for free, dont really remember which. Email them and ask if you have a chance form my experiences you do and you should not give up. All above is if you had plans to make it into a site.If you where cyber squatting there is absouly no chance of you wining give it up and take the regfee. Ill have some more advice later once i learn a little bit about it, But again your best bet is talking to that site listed above or anouther like it (or of course a tm lawyer)

•••
Also, you should note that they will obviously consider the other names you own, so if you got many with possible TM violations, this will surly hurt your case.

Mike

•••
Originally posted by Tippy
Also, you should note that they will obviously consider the other names you own, so if you got many with possible TM violations, this will surly hurt your case.

This is true. In my domain dispute that went to court, during the deposition I had to provide a list of every domain name I owned and go through every one of them and give the reason I owned it.

•••
RJ Great point!
This is true they will ask for all other domain names you have under your name, there are ways around most of the laws as long as you are honest.
1) you can reg. under your business name and not be sued personaly,but lose your business.($500) is the cost to dba, inc. and set up an account, and start a business.
2) selling the name before they sue you is against the law and you will be the reg. owner at time of contact, the other guy will have recourse against you also.
3)when we go after someone squatting we copy the public info on file at the registar first, (we do 2 more things )then we email as a interested party and get an emailed amount that is asked for. HOOK SET. we have all that is needed to win the case brought against by or client.
4)Changing ownership to hide or transferring many times is common in our business but little due the squatters know is very trackable. Most think they lose you in the cyber world but not the case.
My advise is listen to this and some others that know and just release the name as a gift with no hard feelings.

I would have that name in 30 mins. if they were my client, not being an ass but the truth is this is a slam dunk for them and just talk for you and maybe but i doubt it money out of your pocket.
I think you would surrender the name when the PI knocked on your do to serve you.
Francois Dejon

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by Bill1
i think you should ask 1k per name and 3 for the package but take in to account what armstrong had to say
funny ;)

•••
There's no trademark on Boss Hugo and it is not confusingly similar, nor would it appear to be if you developed it into a personal website.

Don't try to sell it to them. don't give it to them. Give them to your boss as intended and develop them.

Hugo Boss is wrong, there's no need to give into harassment.

•••
BIG THANKS!!!

thanks guys, for your answers.
I spoke to there lawyer, (called her on her mobile) and offered a settlement price of 1500$ last week.
I told them that i dont want to sell them the domains but if they insist i will have to be rufunded for the hassle of making another site and project plus for the purchase of another domain that will go with this project that s already registered and the owner wants $xxx e.t.c....
Have notheard from them yet but ill keep you posted.
I think myself that they will not pay and will try to make a case out of it since i published this thread and they have seen it. They will think that if they pay me they will have a boom of typos registered after that. But i dont care, this thread was worth it!!!

•••
You know, how do you know none of the people on this thread are the lawyers themselves, trying to get you to do what they want :)

•••
huogboos.com is available :D

•••
theres a lot of domains avaliable!

like colacoca.com disneywalt.com lynchmerrill.com e.t.c........

and this list goes on and on and on.......

•••
That one is definitely teetering on the edge of infringement -

I personally wouldn't stir the crap unless they were already making a good bit of money -

But I also think it is ridiculous to use trademark laws to protect languages or dictionary terms.

•••
Ahh, Way off topic, but I remember when I noticed NHLRivals.com (name of a Microsoft Video Game) was available, and that they hadn't registered the trademark, yet they were releasing the game that same month with (TM) in front of it on the box art.

Got the same kind of threats that this hugo boss guy got, but held out for a week long war of words with Microsoft and the NHL's lawyers and came to a nice settlement, without even having to sign an NDA (which is why I can come on here and tell you guys about it).

It's funny the bigger corporations get, the smaller their brains get (from my experiences). Microsoft even went out and sued that Mike Rowe guy in the PR debacle just a couple weeks later. Seems they buckle under the idea that the little man has a peice of what they want.

My advice, don't register blatant trademarks or typos of trademarks and expect to win in legal battle unless you have a unique situation (golden opportunity) like above. Keep in mind it costs them $3000 or so big ones to file a complaint, if it looks like they're going for it and you know you'll lose, take the 8 dollars.

•••
I heard the owner of Azurik.com got $30,000 before the Xbox game was released. Was your settlement around the same figure or can't you reveal the details?

•••
Wasn't as large as that, but I was really happy with it, I could legally reveal it, but I don't really want to B-)

•••
Hi All,

I just found an unregistered name for a hot new product that's coming out. The domains I found is actually a combo company/product.com name. The big company has the company name reged and the product name reged but not the combo.

So it would be similar to sonyviao.com or dellinspiron.com

Different industry but it's a big company similar to Microsoft like in the examples shown above: NHLRivals.com (mdurrant) and Azurik.com (sellinbiz)

Should I even bother? Asking for touble or potential money maker?

•••
would be best for you to post this in a seperate thread

•••
WHen was this domain registered. If you have registered before their trademark date and have been using it actively, then i think you need not worry.

Otherwise you do have a problem

Castlemelody , r u related to one of those guyz?. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Anyone who knows what happened to those bosshugo domains?
It was a real interesting story..

•••
Yeah I would also be interested in what happen further on.

•••
its still regged on the .ru guy :)
would be really interesting to hear what the plans are.

•••
still in talks with Hugo Boss lawyers!

ill keep you posted.

•••
after reading this whole thread, i have posted a legal issue a bit further advanced than this one please voice your opinion as there are many similarities to this case

•••
finaly settled with HUGO BOSS AG

due to my agreement with them i cant say how much!
sorry guys!

I transfered the domains:

bosshugo.com .biz
and boss-hugo.com to there lawyers!

•••
Hm... :|

It's ok, can understand that.. :)

Glad to hear that it went well.. (?)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back