NameSilo

IDNs and the Tower Of Babel

Spaceship
Watch

mole

Insectivora MemberEstablished Member
Impact
It has been reported that while IDNs are more "user friendly" to users of native languages, it causes;

Trademark/Intellectual Property nightmares D-:
It will be very costly and a extremely complex process for corporations to protect the multifold variations available on the IDN platform.

Phishing nightmares D-:
As reported by shmoo.com and elsewhere. Visually, can be impossible to tell. Even if there is a squiggle on top of a letter, many people may just think its a speck of dirt on their computer screens.

Buyer-seller nightmares D-:
Some unscrupulous sellers may sell a sweet looking "portfolio" comprising a mix of both unicode and punycode domains making it more difficult to check, and the buyer in his excitement of a "great deal" may only realise this once the sale is completed. The seller may turn around and say, well this is a "package"

As domainers, how do you see IDNs in context to your domain acquisition strategies, good or bad, god sent or hell spawned?

Personally, I will be avoiding IDNs. I prefer to be UNI, not PUNY. :sold:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
mole said:
As domainers, how do you see IDNs in context to your domain acquisition strategies, good or bad, god sent or hell spawned?
No offense to IDN owners/speculators, but....

STOP.

GET AWAY FROM THEM.

IMHO, it's the best example of "hungry consumers will purchase anything" since the pet-rock.

No offense to pet-rock owners. I was one too. I also had a mood-ring and black light posters.

Thank you for listening.

:red:

•••
properly accented IDN's are acceptable in my book... the others are just curiosities, dangerous, or both.

•••
-db- said:
mole said:
No offense to IDN owners/speculators, but....

STOP.

GET AWAY FROM THEM.
Hmmm.....Sorry but i won't, simply because they have proven themselves to be one of the most profitable part of domaining.

•••
1rrr1, that's great and more power to you. There is a market for almost anything.

My comment was really tongue-and-cheek, and not meant to be offensive or taken too seriously. It was just a spur of the moment post, and my honest and personal opinion. :)

By the way, I'm not familiar with all the different IDN's, and certainly don't intend to pass judgment on them

There are several things that bother me about them, but the thing that currently is bothering me the most (and sends up an instant road block) is the thought of some of my visitors having to type EX---00052F.com to reach the site. That's just scary.

I should also say, that I tend to look at domains from a development standpoint, equal to a resell standpoint. And as mole mentioned in his original post, these things appear to be a "nightmare" for many of the most basic and essential development needs.

:|

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back