Dynadot

advice Is it worth developing a .biz?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ian Goh

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

Need your advice whether is it worth developing a keyword geo domain that has over 5 million search per month. Should I invest my time in it, or stick to a .com?

The site I'm planning is related to Business.

Love your feedbacks :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
What would you do, write reviews and categorize them? .biz if the domain is premium can be cool

•••
It really depends on what you are happy with.

But the fact that you asking in this thread, shows that you have your doubts.

What you'd also need to consider is your location, and the kind of traffic that you will driving to the site. Is it printed (posters/cards/newspaper), via links, search engine (I'm not referring to SEO purposes), etc. If you are printing it... you might want to consider an extension that your clients would remember/are familiar with. Is .biz such an extension?

You need to consider the perception that your customer would have when seeing your url printed somewhere.

If you print the .biz on your cars or sand-blast on your office doors/ windows/etc... and later decide to change to .com or some-other extension... redoing the printing/changing the doors/glass that will be another cost to consider. And it sounds like you may have your doubts.

If you have a .biz and a .com (slightly longer), I'd choose the .com.

Any extension can be developed.

In the end-it's up to you.

•••
Since you already own the name, you can share it with us so we can give you a better advices.

FYI:

There is only 1 .biz in the Alexa top 1000
There is only 11 .biz in the Alexa top 10000 (livedoor dot biz is included, which is the 462th) ...

(worser than many ccTLDs)

•••
What would you do, write reviews and categorize them? .biz if the domain is premium can be cool

I was thinking of either a Classified or Business Directory site. What do you think?
I like your idea, you mean I write reviews on certain business in my area?

It really depends on what you are happy with.

But the fact that you asking in this thread, shows that you have your doubts.

What you'd also need to consider is your location, and the kind of traffic that you will driving to the site. Is it printed (posters/cards/newspaper), via links, search engine (I'm not referring to SEO purposes), etc. If you are printing it... you might want to consider an extension that your clients would remember/are familiar with. Is .biz such an extension?

You need to consider the perception that your customer would have when seeing your url printed somewhere.

If you print the .biz on your cars or sand-blast on your office doors/ windows/etc... and later decide to change to .com or some-other extension... redoing the printing/changing the doors/glass that will be another cost to consider. And it sounds like you may have your doubts.

If you have a .biz and a .com (slightly longer), I'd choose the .com.

Any extension can be developed.

In the end-it's up to you.

Wow, thanks for the in depth reply. Yes, I am concern on using .biz due to the fact that is not well known and people may sometimes be wary on clicking.

In my area that I am living, people do not really care much on .com and if their .com is taken, they will just use the cctld. They of course know that biz stands for business as I seen a number of site incorporating biz in their domain.

The reason I like this keyword for the .biz is the fact that it has over 5 million search per month at $0.76 CPC and low competition. All other extension for this keyword is also taken even the cctld. This is also the name of the area I am staying.

In terms of promoting, i'll start with SEO and since the domain is aged fairly well and has some domain authority, its in Google Page 1 if I search "GeoKeyword.biz" and Google Page 4 when I search "GeoKeyword biz"

I was thinking that if I purchase this .biz and also buy the GeoKeywordBiz.com to redirect to my .biz?

Since you already own the name, you can share it with us so we can give you a better advices.

FYI:

There is only 1 .biz in the Alexa top 1000
There is only 11 .biz in the Alexa top 10000 (livedoor dot biz is included, which is the 462th) ...

(worser than many ccTLDs)

I haven't backorder the name yet :) But its one thing I know is this "GeoKeyword" is a place where born and raise which gives me a competitive advantage to the .com, .net, .org & .info holder who does not live in my area.

So should I get this name and develop it?

•••
I was thinking of either a Classified or Business Directory site. What do you think?
I like your idea, you mean I write reviews on certain business in my area?

Oh ok... thought it was a site for a traditional business. If it's a classified type site, I wouldn't use a .biz. .Com/.Net or your ccTLD would be more suitable.

In terms of promoting, i'll start with SEO and since the domain is aged fairly well and has some domain authority, its in Google Page 1 if I search "GeoKeyword.biz" and Google Page 4 when I search "GeoKeyword biz"

I was thinking that if I purchase this .biz and also buy the GeoKeywordBiz.com to redirect to my .biz?

When I type "mydomain.extension" into Google search, even when parked, it is usually result number 1/ page 1. So that isn't really something to consider in terms of SEO. You'd want to rank as result 1/page 1 when the person searching, types "Keyword". :)

Keyword+Directory.com/net/cctld... if it's a directory type site, would be better than .biz, because it's more descriptive you will be relying on users from search engines who could be skeptical on clicking on a not so well-known extension. I've always behaved in this way, long before buying/selling domains. This is based on my experience and opinion, of course.

Last edited:
•••
So we are now comparing :

CityBusinessDirectory.com
vs
City.biz

Depending on your location, people may alerady know that .biz exist which can be easy for them to remember your site.

.Biz can also rank really well.
Google associate .biz to business.

Remeber that the quality of the website is also extremely important.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back