Dynadot

advice Just got email from unknown person

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Hidigo

Established Member
Impact
I just got email from some guy George about short domains. Here is what he wrote:

"Hope you’re doing well,

If you have any short domains for sale please let me know, with your selling price, I’m currently looking for four letter and three letter domains.

Thanks,
George "

IS THIS A SCAM?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Doesn't sound like it if thats the whole email, at least nothing popular that I've heard about. Sounds as someone not-so-super-experienced is trying to get into domaining and is genuinely interested.

Best is to followup the conversation (of course, provided that you DO have such domains) and see how it goes. If at some points the seller wants you to use an appraise tool to valuate your domain you can run away and never look back (or ask them to perform the appraisal themselves and you will modify the end price).

Nothing wrong with trying, you never know when you can score a good one. Best of luck.

•••
This is more than likely some lowballer looking for a source of cheap, good quality domains. It's probably not worth responding to, imho. But if you decide to respond, give him an example of a domain you might sell him, and ask him for a price. If he doesn't give you a price, then I would more than likely not reply to any more of his emails. YMMV.

•••
There are a few people who do this, they email random domain owners asking for short domains, in hopes they may run across someone who has an extra LLL or two or a nice pronounceable LLLL and don't know the value. They send out tons of emails like that, in a strategy of maybe finding even one owner who will unknowingly sell them a high value domain but for some crazy low price. The dream is to stumble across someone who owns an LLL or quality LLLL but it was for business or personal use, the owner isn't a domainer, and the unsuspecting owner might be thrilled with a $500 offer...

It's annoying but it's not a scam. They're just trying to find a xx,xxx domain they can buy for xx or xxx from an unsuspecting owner. There are still, for many reasons, unsuspecting owners of high value domains out there.

Not sure if that's the case here, but looks like it.

Another thing to do: put the sender's email into google, in quotation marks ( "sendersemail" ) like that and see what pops up. Sometimes their email addy is associated with scams and someone's reported it on a forum like this one.

Good luck.

•••
If you have to come on to a forum to ask if it's a scam, it might as well be!

You could fill a forum with reports of spam/scams/junk. Completely pointless. If people need to be told what a scam is, maybe better they get scammed and learn something!

•••
Well do you have any? If you do then it's probably what @Bannen said. If you don't then maybe scam.

It is obviously an email sent to tons of people.

Anyway, update and tell us what 'George' said.

•••
I tend to agree with Bannen. It doesn't look like a scam. There are thousands of good domains owned by people not aware about their value or about the existence of a domain business. Believe me, i met one of them personally. And i was really tempted to offer her like 100 Euros cash on her hand just for the domain she was going to let expire. It was a gorgeous .it hack i could have easily sold for high $x,xxx (trust me).

But i'm not that kind of person (still doubting if i should say "luckily" or "unfortunately" ) . Then, since she was the girlfriend of a friend of mine, i explained her something and told her to NOT let the domain expire.
I suggested to signup on Sedo, and put it for sale there. As far as i know (they broke up after few weeks), she sold the domain for high $xxx .

•••
@matrigaldo I would have asked her to broker the domain for 50%. Can't feel bad with that, right? 4 figures for both.

•••
It might be a scam, they would like to see the email address from which you reply.

•••
@matrigaldo - You should never interfere with other people's relationships :)

•••
@matrigaldo - You should never interfere with other people's relationships :)

LOL that's why i didn't offer to broker the domain, my friend / soon-to-be-ex boyfriend wanted to manage it by himself (even if he wasn't into domaining, he had been into marketing since years), but they broke up and probably she had to manage the sale by herself...........

•••
But i'm not that kind of person
I wonder, when faced with it, who is? From around 2000 until around 2006 a lot of domainers were making a good living, and a few of them becoming wealthy, finding underutilized (premium) domains, emailing their out-of-the-domain-loop owners, offering usually $500 to $2k or so, and buying a super domain that was really worth five, six figures. They were doing this OFTEN.

Common strategy was to sit there, simply type in dictionary words or top phrases in dot.com, one after the other; if they stumbled across a website that looked underutilized, (as a fictional example) let's say they found Money dot com and the website was some cheap blog, not monetized, not much content; they'd email or phone the owner and offer a lowball amount (lowball relative to the actual value of the domain, but not lowball to the unsuspecting domain owner). Quite often you'd run across someone who had regged the domain for reg fee back in the '90's for personal interest, put a little content on the site, lost interest, didn't 'domain' so didn't realize there was any actual value to Money dot com as a domain name without the website, and would be pleased as punch to receive an offer to buy their Money dot com for a few thousand bucks.

Obviously that is not the story behind Money dot com, but it illustrates how the domainers worked. They'd simply run across underutilized domains (this was a skill, figuring out what kind of site looked 'underutilized' and like it was owned by a non-domainer and a person who wasn't really interested in the website any more), give them a phone call via their whois phone number, offer to do a deal, cash and fast via bank wire. The unsuspecting seller would be thrilled to receive a nice big chunk of instant money for a domain he's no longer even interested in... finding out a month or years later that he'd sold an $xxx,xxx domain for low $xxxx.

The domainer's trick was to offer just enough money so the domain owner would think it was a good chunk of money and not a rip-off. If they were excited about the offer amount, they'd be less likely to 'start looking into things and asking questions'. "Three grand!?? For just my domain, not the website??!! Hell it only cost me reg fee for 10 years, SURE I'll take three grand for it!!" Then you've bought, like, airplanes dot com for three grand, and the retired old pilot who thought it was worthless is thrilled. With luck he dies before learning you sold it a month later for $2mill.

Another method was via obsolete email addresses. Some domainers used services or scripts to send blank or almost blank 'exploratory' emails to addresses mined from thousands of websites thru search engines. If any emails bounced back as undeliverable, the domainer would check that website's domain and if it was high quality, would use other methods to try find the contact info of the owner. That whois email addy might be defunct but the owner's phone and land mail addy might still be correct. The thinking was that if that website owner's email was defunct, they probably don't pay much attention to their website and online properties and might not know the value of that domain they own.

There were other tactics, but these two were the most common in this strategy of 'bilking unsuspecting owners out of their valuable properties'. We all try to buy low and sell high, that's the name of the domain trade game. I guess each person has to define for themselves what's fair and what's bilking. I still try to buy things at reseller prices, pay a few hundred for a domain I think I can sell for a few thousand. I think that's fair and honest.

So, back to your statement 'I'm not that kind of person'. I myself probably was... if I'd run across a domain 10 years ago, that some unsuspecting owner was happy to receive $2k for, and let's say it was a high quality premium I knew was worth $500k... would I have just told him? Or would I have told him and offered to help with the sale as a broker? Or would I not have told him, paid the 2k, and sent him a Big Mac hamburger later as thanks (I could order it via phone from my new airplane) once I sold the name for a stinky big profit?

I don't know about back then. I think I'd have done it. Nowadays, I am positive I would just tell them. For the karma, it's who I am. A karma-sucker, I guess. Karma-fool. :)

At any rate, roundabout 2006 - 2007 so many domainers had scooped up those underutilized valuable domains for dirt cheap that you just couldn't find them any more. Domainers who were previously scooping a few of those each month, by 2006 were lucky to scoop one a year, if any at all.

There are still owners out there who unknowingly have premium domains, but the ratio is so low now that finding one is akin to winning a lottery. Extremely rare, for the super premium domains in the 5 or 6 figure range. But there are still quite a few unsuspecting owners of lesser domains, say valued at 4 or low 5 figs. Those owners are a little easier to find... but nowadays so many people are tied into their online projects that even if they don't realize their domain is valuable, they still want to keep it and they turn down lowball offers. And even if they don't know about 'domaining', people are so much more quick to check things out now than they were 12 years ago, they'd probably spend a few minutes looking into domain forums before accepting an offer... and then they'd find out that maybe their domain actually does have substantial value.

Hey, who did all this writing? Must be a lazy day.

•••
Last month I received an email asking for one of my 4 letter domain, then I gave him a Sedo link. But I never received any follow-up email from him.

Although I was wary that it might be that appraisal scam, but it wasn't.

•••
Banen, you have a point. I guess that's why the guy who contacted me for Homaged dot cometh didn't respond after reading my rather knowledgeable reply about the value of a domain.

May be he wanted to offer $20 for it but when I said I would only sell if his offer was good enough. Even at 600 dollars, he didn't reply till date.

Thanks for the insight.

•••
@Bannen i read your post through my phone when i was almost asleep, so i didn't reply properly.
If you notice, in my post i wrote "i'm not that kind of person (still doubting if i should say "luckily" or "unfortunately" ) ", because i agree with you, 10-15 years ago the business wasn't fully developed and maybe there wasn't a common ethical vision. It was kind of speculative to most people, so the strategy of buying domains at nothing from unaware people wasn't very unethical. The episode i was talking about happened two years ago, not in late 90s or early 2000s, and you described so well how different is the domaining business right now.

•••
@matrigaldo - It's even more competitive today than it was back-in-the-day. I don't personally have the time to operate in the predatory fashion Bannen so eloquently describes, and which he states would be almost 100% unproductive today. But if somebody offered me more than I though a domain was worth, would I accept it? Yes of course I would. I wouldn't go back to them with some explanation about the domain not being worth that much. I'd take the money. No questions asked.

•••
You should do what @stub has said.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back