IT.COM

Launch date for .name extension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Article from HuginOnline

London - 22nd October 2003 - The Global Name Registry, the operator of the .NAME generic top level domain, announced today that its standard second level domain name registrations will become available from 11:30AM EST on 14 January 2004. This will enable people worldwide to buy domain names long gone on e.g. com, now ending with the suffix .NAME.

"Interest for this new product is growing dramatically, and we are now working hard to enable new and existing domain name Registrars to be ready for the launch," said Hakon Haugnes, president of GNR. "Hundreds of thousands of extremely attractive names become instantly available at 11:30 AM on January 14. Now, for the last time in many years to come, your most desired name is available on a global top-level domain."

Powered by VeriSign
Verisign, Inc., which also operates the .com and .net top level domains (TLD), is powering the technical operations of .name, and will provide the infrastructure for a stable launch. "Verisign operates the largest top-level domain registries in the world, and this expertise will ensure the smooth and successful introduction of .name second level domains," said Ben Turner, Vice President of Naming Services at Verisign, Inc. "VeriSign's scalable and redundant systems can easily accommodate GNR's introduction of their new second level domain product."

Companies should act now to protect their trademarks at the opening
When .name opens, hundreds of thousands of highly valuable names currently taken on .com, .net and other top-level-domains, suddenly become available. When the comparable .info namespace launched in 2001, hundreds of thousands of companies rushed in to protect their trademarks from being taken on the .info second level. The Global Name Registry is offering the same opportunity to companies worldwide through its "Defensive Registrations". With a Defensive Registration, a company or individual, can get its name protected prior to the namespace opening, and can later give its consent to use this second level domain name for a purpose deemed appropriate. Defensive Registrations are available now, a list of outlets is available at www.nic.name/defensive

.name goes mainstream
"This opening marks a significant event in the Internet domain name history," said Geir Rasmussen, GNR, chief executive officer. "On January 14th our namespace becomes structurally similar to .COM. We expect strong demand for the first hundreds of thousands of names that are taken everywhere else, like on .COM, .NET, .BIZ and .INFO. Basically, from being a special interest TLD, .NAME goes mainstream"

Background
The Global Name Registry currently offers personal domain name registrations at the 3rd level, which are separated by two dots (for instance, www.peter.morgan.name). It also offers personal web addresses (for instance, [email protected]). GNR has found, however, that many consumers prefer shorter, more familiar, 2nd level registrations (www.big.name or abc.name), and that registrars and resellers also prefer to sell and provision 2nd level registrations. Accordingly, GNR will offer standard 2nd level domain registrations, which will work just like .COM, .NET, and .INFO

About GNR Limited
GNR Limited is the parent company of The Global Name Registry, Limited, which operates a generic top-level domain (gTLD) registry that offers individuals around the world the opportunity to purchase a web address and email address in the form of their name, ending with the suffix .name. GNR Limited's investors include Carlyle Europe Venture Partners, L.P., Northzone Ventures AS, and Four Seasons Venture AS.

Further information about Global Name Registry can be found at http://www.name

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oh, fkin great, Frigin VeriSlime gets it again.. :(

Welp, all good ones are gunna be gone then i guess

•••
i have no faith in this tld...

•••
Originally posted by Elefekt
i have no faith in this tld...

Agree. This tld sounds awkward, and I don't see it becoming widely-used, unless they do something drastic like making it free.

If I needed a personal site, I'd much rather go for mylastnamefamily.com/some-cctld/net/org/info than mylastname.name.

•••
Originally posted by armstrong
Agree. This tld sounds awkward, and I don't see it becoming widely-used, unless they do something drastic like making it free.

If I needed a personal site, I'd much rather go for mylastnamefamily.com/some-cctld/net/org/info than mylastname.name.

I agree...

•••
I agree with that too. "dot name" is simply too awkward, and imo silly.

I figure about 90%+ of the world doesn't even know cctlds exist, let alone the new top level .biz, info, .aero, etc.

•••
Originally posted by Christopher Marks
I figure about 90%+ of the world doesn't even know cctlds exist, let alone the new top level .biz, info, .aero, etc.

If by 'world' you mean the US, then you may be right, but I would put a slightly lower estimate, say 70%.

But the world isn't just the US. In Germany, most companies use .de. Their second choice is .info, while .com is considered optional. Open your eyes and see, young grasshopper ...

•••
•••
•••
Ohhhh Mike! A nice one there!

•••
get ready for the land grab.......
eyeing a few fav. names
anyone know
of how to
get a good
headstart
and prepare for D-day?????B-)

•••
Originally posted by FruitFish
I agree...

I dont agree :D
It has quite a potential.

domain.name
my.name
your.name
i.name
get.name
brand.name
net.name

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back