Domain Empire

.info Market for cityname.info?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I acquired a .info name of a wealthy community. I'm just wondering if it should be easy to flip for a profit if I paid $5.75 for it? Thanks.

I personally think .info makes more sense for a city than a .com or .net ....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had the same theory. Not sure how well it is going to hold. I have about 20 geo .infos in my portfolio. They are mostly of decent sized communities 150,000+ or rather wealthy. However I have not been able to find domainers who would buy them.

One avenue I have been recommended time and again has been Backpage, Craigslist and other local market places. I put my collection on eBay once with only a few watched.

I definitely still think they are a great extension. I am still not finding anyone though outside of domaining who is familiar with .info enough to search and use it.

•••
I had the same theory. Not sure how well it is going to hold. I have about 20 geo .infos in my portfolio. They are mostly of decent sized communities 150,000+ or rather wealthy. However I have not been able to find domainers who would buy them.

One avenue I have been recommended time and again has been Backpage, Craigslist and other local market places. I put my collection on eBay once with only a few watched.

I definitely still think they are a great extension. I am still not finding anyone though outside of domaining who is familiar with .info enough to search and use it.

Thanks for your input! I have been trying to sell it to the owners of the .com version. It is a far shot though since who would want a .info when they already have a .com??

•••
Thanks for your input! I have been trying to sell it to the owners of the .com version. It is a far shot though since who would want a .info when they already have a .com??

Actually in many cases I feel that they have great reason to.

Although the .info receives for substantially less value than the .com they have the benefit of knocking out potential competition. In some cases that competition is gaining heavy amounts of traffic and revenue. This is present in large cities, states and country specific domains.

The problem is just going to be convincing and proving to the potential customer that they have to own the other extension illustrating relevant examples.

I don't have any of those types of domains yet, but I am working on it.

•••
Good city/town.infos are development candidates.

•••
Good city/town.infos are development candidates.

Absolutely! When you start approaching cities with large populations 300,000+ in .info you really have a great development candidate. However I have seen those developed with smaller populations and even towns be successful. Historic towns are great too because you can get type in traffic that way.

Linking the page up with local businesses; restaurants, hotels, sports teams, etc. can be really lucrative for getting traffic. Advertising it through social media pages focused on the locale and locals listings like Craigslist and Backpage can be very useful too.

Besides that Google is putting more emphasis on local search as of late. I still have a lot of faith in .info geo's and I hope others start to catch on well. They may not have high resale at the moment but development can work.

I would love to hear more opinions.

•••
Absolutely! When you start approaching cities with large populations 300,000+ in .info you really have a great development candidate. However I have seen those developed with smaller populations and even towns be successful. Historic towns are great too because you can get type in traffic that way.

Linking the page up with local businesses; restaurants, hotels, sports teams, etc. can be really lucrative for getting traffic. Advertising it through social media pages focused on the locale and locals listings like Craigslist and Backpage can be very useful too.

Besides that Google is putting more emphasis on local search as of late. I still have a lot of faith in .info geo's and I hope others start to catch on well. They may not have high resale at the moment but development can work.

I would love to hear more opinions.

I've decided to develop my domain instead of sell it, unless someone makes the right offer for it on Sedo. Once I get more content on the page I will show you my .info! Right now though, it is a basic wordpress page...

•••
Town I live in has the .info because some city in England has the .com.

Now a few years back, I got a good .info for our county and developed it out with all kinds of stuff about our county.
The county historical society owned the .com and they bought mine just to get me off the map!

•••
To add to this, there was a state.info (New Jersey) in the high priced domains for sale sub forum that sold. In addition the buyer is turning around and reselling it there along with another state.info (Texas). Depending on what these go for it can get some insight into the value of city.info as well. From what I see though the prices look pretty affordable on these too.

•••
Purchased

Waukegan.info today. 6 largest city in Illinois!

•••
To add to this, there was a state.info (New Jersey) in the high priced domains for sale sub forum that sold. In addition the buyer is turning around and reselling it there along with another state.info (Texas). Depending on what these go for it can get some insight into the value of city.info as well. From what I see though the prices look pretty affordable on these too.
Yeah I though I saw NJ.info too! I imagine AtlanticCity.info has gotten to be taken as well. I see the dot info like the long shot in the horse races, when it wins, it will pay high! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back