Domain Empire

Microsoft sues over "MikeRoweSoft"

Spaceship
Watch

aww

Established Member
Impact
Microsoft is now suing, after offering $10 for one guy's legitimate business domain name. Even the mainstream TV news is reporting on this, but this article has some of the best coverage.

...when an email from Microsoft’s Canadian lawyers Smart & Biggar arrived on 19 November laying out its complaint, he was “amazed and appalled”. He replied saying he didn’t want to hand over the domain and didn’t feel there was any risk it would damage Microsoft’s name.

He then got another email. “They responded to this email by offering to give me all of my out-of-pocket expenses in return for the domain name. This came out to be $10; the amount I paid for the domain. This made me feel insulted. I had spent a lot of time building up my site and I had only been offered $10 for my work. I responded by asking for $10,000, which I regret doing now, for my work and domain name.”

As he now knows, Mike had unwittingly slipped into the classic trap set by companies in order to get hold of domain names - the creation of a “bad faith” use of the domain. By offering to sell the domain for profit (even if sparked by the offer of payment by the other party), according to the bent logic of domain dispute arbitrators, it shows the owner had no legitimate interest in the domain and so it should be handed over.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They always out to make an extra buck :)

•••
Originally posted by Toeki
Microsoft just got bored and thought.... we got all this money so maybe we should go pick on someone.:notme:

:hehe:

Looks like a David vs Goliath scenario.
Of course we know who won :)

•••
•••
If it's his name he stands a chance

•••
Ha, let's all buy designs from him to help "support the cause."

•••
•••
haha, i think this whole thing is hilarious.. and also hope that mike rowe gets a million dollars ;)

•••
FYI:

http://www.mikeroweforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15

===========================================
"Updates From Mike
Sorry there hasn’t been a lot of news posted by me lately, I have been very busy with school, exams, the media, new website and settling with Microsoft.

I will post my opinion on this and my settlement reasons and thoughts shortly.

I would like to thank everyone world-wide for the support I have received from individual people, radio, TV, magazines, etc. This really made THE difference and it would have been impossible without everyone’s support.

Many people would like to know the status of the donations I have received towards my legal fees. This had to be downloaded from PayPal into my bank because someone tried hacking my PayPal account (unsuccessfully, fortunately). As Microsoft has kindly offered to pay my out-of-pocket expenses, these donations will now no longer be necessary. As I have said from the beginning, I was not into this to make money and therefore I would like to offer the following:

Return donations to those who would like their donation back (Minus PayPal fees).

Donate these funds to a terminally ill children’s charity as they could use this much more than I.

Or your suggestions.

I have set up a poll regarding the issue, as seen on the left. If you have another suggestion please make sure your voice is heard and post in either this thread or the poll thread. I will be going with the majority vote at the end of the day on February 14th, 2004 to give everyone the time to make your opinion known and for those who would like a refund.

If you would like your donations returned before hand, please forward your PayPal information to [email protected] (Please do not send an email to this address for any other reason). It is easy to check if you have donated, so please do not ask for refund if you did not donate.

I would prefer to deal with this quickly so that it is taken care of to everyone’s satisfaction and I can get on with my new website, schooling, and life.

Thank you to everyone for contributing as that not only made me feel better, knowing I would have some funds for lawyer fees if needed, but also likely showed that I had some resources available to fight this if it would have been necessary.

I look forward to sharing the future with you on these new message boards. I will be posting regularly to keep in touch.

Yours truly,
Mike Rowe""

==============================================

•••
As Microsoft has kindly offered to pay my out-of-pocket expenses, these donations will now no longer be necessary

What the heck? Why would Microsoft pay for a legal team to fight against them?

•••
Originally posted by g0ldy
As Microsoft has kindly offered to pay my out-of-pocket expenses, these donations will now no longer be necessary

What the heck? Why would Microsoft pay for a legal team to fight against them?

haha, yeah, thats pretty weird...

i cant wait to see how this whole thing plays out

•••
he got rid of his site... it's just a forum now.

•••
I guess thats that

<snip>A 21st-century David and Goliath saga has ended like this: Goliath gives David an Xbox, a free plane trip and a new Web site.
That's what Microsoft has offered to end the public-relations fiasco known as MikeRoweSoft.com.

Mike Rowe, a 17-year-old student from the Victoria, B.C., area, created the site last year to show off his part-time Web-design work. He became a minor Web celebrity this month after Microsoft demanded he give up the domain name. <snip>

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001842770_mikerowesoft24.html

•••
Microsoft would leave the room with their head up their *** if they tried to take it before WIPO or under UDRP. haha

•••
•••
Originally posted by DrWho
* WARNING *

Commission Theft by Sedo.co.uk

Whats this about?? is there a thread??

•••
•••
Did anyone else notice the name if the law firm? SMART & BIGGAR? (smart 'n' bigger, anyone?) :lol:

This is a joke...right? um, oh, yeah, Micro$oft. Forgot.

•••
hahha kicrosoft jack themselves once again!

•••
Last edited:
•••
good deal... that is one lucky kid!

•••
I think he gave in too easy! Mike Rowe is no Micro...

•••
At least he got an Xbox out of it! LOL :kickass:

•••
•••
Ha! It's down to $500. But at least he will really see that.

Last edited:
•••
He should just declare it a failed bidding ... if he can. He might be able to sell it directly to some journalists instead.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back