Dynadot

My first real job interview.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So I'm stressing out pretty much right now. I going to my first real job interview tomorrow. All of my previous "interviews" were basically, you hand in our application, and based on that you have been interviewed.

The people who are interviewing me sound pretty nice, but I'm still a bit nervous about how to look appearance wise. Personality wise I'm not nervous because I'm comfortable with speaking, but I just don't know what to wear. I know usually for an "interview" I'd wear slacks and a button down shirt, but most of the people who work at this store in retail dress casual to semi-casual. Also, the establishment is in Union Square and everything about the Union Square and the Village in general screams casual, but I'm still not sure.

So I was wondering if I had the right coming in as a potential employee to dress how they dress or should I go in the traditional shirt, tie, and slacks? Do I dress for the environment of the work place (how I dress on a regular basis) or do I dress in traditional interview attire?

Also, before this interview I'll be doing some volunteer work at a school, so whatever I wear I'll have to bring with me as a change of clothes and will most likely get wrinkled in my bag despite being folded.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well for college interviews my guidance counselor told my class to either wear our school uniform or like some slacks and a polo. (make sure your pants are pulled up and not sagging, clean shaven, etc.)
Best of Luck and I hope you get the job :tu: !

Just read this
http://www.quintcareers.com/dress_for_success.html
hear it says
How should you dress? Dressing conservatively is always the safest route, but you should also try and do a little investigating of your prospective employer so that what you wear to the interview makes you look as though you fit in with the organization. If you overdress (which is rare but can happen) or underdress (the more likely scenario), the potential employer may feel that you don't care enough about the job.

•••
For all of my college interviews I wore normal athletic shoes, white socks, khaki pants, blue polo shirt.

•••
I got the job, thanks guys.

•••
•••
Humdizzy said:
I got the job, thanks guys.
congrats.

Get asked any weird questions? :p

•••
Excellent, what did you wear? lol

•••
Wow, nice going!
Any tips for anyone else?

•••
Hey, I don't know what to say. I'm guessing it's pure luck. When kids my age ask to apply for this job we usually get the "You have to be 18" (which is false because according to employment laws in the US, companies cannot discriminate when it comes to age as long as the person is of working age). But I guess I lucked up. I dressed simple and went in a blue business type shirt with black slacks. She wanted me to ask a ton of questions which I didn't have because I researched the company before I went in for the interview. They're really considerate with me and my school schedule and they're being so patient with me by telling me that if I feel I have too much work I could just tell them and they'll spread my hours out more. I don't know why, but I imagined working being a lot more demanding and strict.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back