IT.COM

Old owner calling you --

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Seems I hit another domainer rite of passage. I have a message asking me to call back about a domain I registered last week from its old owner.

How do people here handle these calls?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's ok to contact them back and see what they want, just keep in mind the domain name is no longer "theirs". Often you'll get accused of registering (or worse, stealing) their domain. Hopefully that's not the case here.

•••
If you have no plans to develop it and want to resell it. See if they want to buy it back, but go easy and dont jack up the price

•••
Yah, make sure you dont scare away the owner. I lost a domain due to non-renewal, and althrough domain was barely worth reg-fee except to me, the guy claimed he was making a site lol and wanted several hundred for it, and turned down my $300 offer.

That was the end of it, and domain is most likely going to expire in a few months lol.

•••
I talked with them some. They offered me $100 for the name. I told them I would get back to them in a couple of days. I was going to use this domain with a site for a family member, but I talked to them and they like another name better anyway it seems.

It is a dmoz listed name. I will probably just let them have it for the $100 I think. They also claimed they have a trademark on the name, but I think that is a bluff.

•••
Then put a better price on it: xxxx dollars

•••
HI

I think you may be right on the TM it sounds like a bluff, maybe you should ask a little more for the name like $150 or so, never know you may get it,

Other wise just take the $100 if you did not pay more then that for the domain.

Thanks
Tom Dahne

Expired Domain Software
http://www.expireddomainsoftware.com

•••
I would say "well, I've given it some thought. Tell you what, I'll meet you half way at $150"

This usually throws them on the phone, as thats how i prefer to conduct business, and they go, "ummm....ok" lol

good luck ;)

•••
Did you check and see if they do indeed have a trademark? I think I would find out if they are being honest, then evaluate my position.

•••
when you feel you're bluffed then I guess you should give back a bit of bluff to them... $100bucks is cheap IMO in this case when a TM is involved.

•••
Originally posted by SY4
I would say "well, I've given it some thought. Tell you what, I'll meet you half way at $150"

This usually throws them on the phone, as thats how i prefer to conduct business, and they go, "ummm....ok" lol

good luck ;)

"Meeting halfway" has worked well for me in the past. :tu:

•••
I think it's unlikely the domain is TMed - if it's your trademark you don't let it expire like that

•••
heh, what idiot lies about having a TM ~.~ I would tell them you want at least $200 for it, since they had... gah, I forgot the number again xD A couple weeks, two, isnt it? anyways, after the domain expired they had a chance to renew it and didn't.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back