Dynadot

.org

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I don't know if this is old (I hope it's not) but read this. It says that .org is better for free sites and stuff. Well the site I am making is going to be a free site. Do you guys think I should register a .com or a .org domain name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IMO, if the .com is free then it would be more appropriate. .org is really best for non-profit organizations.

•••
Thats what I was saying. My site will be non-profit (I just used the word free instead) Is there a difference between free and non-profit other then some money has to come from somewhere to pay for non-profit?

•••
By non-profits I mean organizations like YMCA, the Rotary, Civil War historians, etc. If you are truly non-profit like these guys, then .org would be a good fit and may be preferable.

Free sites on the internet (like hotscripts, and even Namepros) usually still aim to profit from their activities via other means (like advertising, membership upgrades, donations, etc.). Hence such sites usually opt for the .com.

Still, if your non-profit is going to be popular someday, perhaps regging the .com as well wouldn't be a bad idea. Then just forward the .com to the .org so you don't lose traffic.

•••
Well I would have advirtising, but that would be inturn for advirtising (like banner exchanges) I might put a donation thing up (not that hardly anyone would use it) but I don't need advirtising for money because I would have hardly any costs, just the domain name and any money I would have to spend for advirtising. I might have ads for making that money up (I don't want to loose money) but that would be it. Is that considered non-profit or not?

•••
i feel it is better for you to reg the .com one, as .com is most common and resale is better in your case

•••
Qwert said:
Well I would have advirtising, but that would be inturn for advirtising (like banner exchanges) I might put a donation thing up (not that hardly anyone would use it) but I don't need advirtising for money because I would have hardly any costs, just the domain name and any money I would have to spend for advirtising. I might have ads for making that money up (I don't want to loose money) but that would be it. Is that considered non-profit or not?

If your advertising to collect capital for the sake of advertising your site...it would mean that your out of the non-profit based category.

•••
Get both the .com and .org

Use the .org on your site, and forward the .com to it.. :)

•••
if the .com is available, forget the .org if you really have to choose between the 2. .com is universal and would work for any situation, any site.

•••
Redleg said:
Get both the .com and .org

Use the .org on your site, and forward the .com to it.. :)

For sure. :talk:

•••
People are usually more familiar with .com extension and thus will memorize the domain name better if it is .com instead of .org. So I'd suggest you use .com if available.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back