IT.COM

Save on Hosting with a One Page Masked Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jimmy Changa

PlanetBurrito.comEstablished Member
Impact
This is a newbie tutorial:

If you want to take a small step up from parking your domains and do a small amount of development (one page) you can get by with masking and have it behave exactly like an autonomously hosted site. You can develop your one page with your own affiliate links and stuff.

Here are some things to know:

1. Set your site up in a sub folder of one of your existing websites.
2. Go to your registrar and choose to forward your domain to that subfolder of the existing domain. You will set your page title, meta keywords and meta description here at your registrar.
3. Be sure ALL links on your new site include either target="_parent" (to override the masking in the same window) or target="_blank" (to open in a new window).

Hope this helps someone. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great info Jimmy, thanks a lot. I was trying to get somebody to host a few single page landers for me, but I'll give this a try on an existing hosting account. Sending a few NP$.

•••
Glad to be of service. ;)

You may notice that two of the three pages in my sig are done this way, UnusedDotcoms.com and 50Cent-Posters.com

Last edited:
•••
Some good piece of information Jimmy :) Thank you .

•••
Thanks, but there is one small word of caution that I feel obligated to share concerning this method of web publishing.

Masking like this is simply putting your page within a very wide and invisibe frame. And in doing so, pages will not be indexed by search engines very well. To illustrate this, go to one of the pages in my sig and choose View Source from your Tool Bar and see.

While masking is a way to make your site appear to be automomous, it is not a good permanent situation.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back