NameSilo

tips The $5 suspicious sale - A guide to better remorse-buyer stories

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This is not another "I sold - he won but did not paid" story. This is a practical guide on how to be great on stories when you want to back off from a settled ($5) deal.

Disclaimer:
[A sarcastic resume of a failed deal where Archangel refused to pay $5 with a so lame reason. It is not about the deal, is about the lack of balls to say that he simply want to back off. It would be just fine, but reasoning that is a suspicious deal, when a reputable trader is involved and the amount is $5, is just BS.]

Step By Step process to be great at backing off from $5 settled deals, as a domain buyer.

1. Completely ignore the details of the deal
This is the beginning of a great back-off. If you see something like "Payment by Paypal" or "Free push at Godaddy" in the details of the deal, you completely ignore them, these are not written for you. These details are for the other non-cool guys, guys that actually read before agree on a deal.

2. You don't like the Godaddy renewals
When you get in touch with the seller and he ask you for your Godaddy account details to receive the domain, is a must to want your domain moved to another registrar. You just don't like the Godaddy renewals prices. Saving .2 cents on renewal is probably more important than your reputation. This step is crucial!

3. Ask for transfer authorization codes
Unfortunately, you will quickly find out that the domain is locked to be moved to another registrar for the next ~50 days. In your plan, this is your chance! 50 days of lock into a registrar is: "Something isn't right. I'm afraid I'll have to pass this up. It's a suspicious thing, a curiosity [..] The longest non-registration lock I've ever seen was 30 days".

Well.. who can disagree that this $5 deal isn't a curiosity? :D

4. When the seller politely reminds the terms you agreed on, you.. get retired :)
I'm a retired mod @ NP, myself. So don't try to tell me mods will force me to complete a suspicious sale. The deal is off. Again, sorry, but I'm not paying for something suspicious

5. You close your case with "I am too busy ..."
I'm too busy to put up with it--but feel free to get a mod. That's fine by me.
You close your case in a traditional way. You are simply too busy. And you say that everything is fine, also mandatory. It helps to chill out the situation.

As a personal note, just avoid to BS someone. If something changes in your plans, just find the balls and use them to say it so. Making a $5 deal suspicious and a curiosity as reasons to back off, is just BS.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back