Domain Empire

.uk Today, I died a little inside

Spaceship
Watch

jdab

Jamie DąbrowieckiTop Member
Impact
Why you ask?

Well, as I'm sure you're all aware, the .uk domain opened up to the public today.

I was just browsing my registrar, and noticed the big heading so thought I'd take a punt and see if any were available.

First, I typed in jd.uk, and it said Available!. As you can guess, I was pretty chuffed. So I thought to myself, what else may be available? I typed in News.uk - guess what? Available! I couldn't believe my luck! I also searched for blog.uk, and that too was Available!. I proceeded to checkout and it came to a grand total of $22.74 - I felt I'd just hit the jackpot.

Proceeded to checkout, made the payment and all went through - my smile was from ear to ear and I was bragging to everyone in the office. The page took a little longer to load up than normal, and it got me worried. However, the receipt confirmation popped up and declared my spend. At this point I'm geeking out and going a little nuts. Then the page refreshed. FAILED FAILED FAILED. ALL THREE OF THEM!

So it turns out, I completely noobed out and forgot that the domains were reserved for the owners of the .co.uk/.org.uk versions. Then I slumped away into the corner of the office and wept.

So how was your day?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm still upset about the registrar of my choosing played the "It's available game."

•••
•••
It's odd how the domains mentioned in the OP still haven't been picked up by their 'rightful owners' - they're only small change.

•••
It's odd how the domains mentioned in the OP still haven't been picked up by their 'rightful owners' - they're only small change.

Because they still have nearly 5 years to do so. If they pick up their domains now they are paying double the renewal fee for 5 years, whereas if they just leave them there for 5 years they have no renewal fee until then.

Imagine one has 100 .co.uk domains at say DomainMonster, with renewal costing £6 a year say, that's £600 a year over 5 years for .co.uk, which is £3000. Why add an extra £3000 in renewal costs for the .uk when you don't have to? :)

•••
If Co. UK registered by others Then his master will have priority to register the UK

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back