IT.COM

news Top 30 Domain Sales of All Time

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Did I miss something as Payment.com didn't make the list? I didn't follow if that sale actually went through.

•••
Well, maybe it's still in the escrow. Payment.com met the reserved price of $10 million, but I don't think its sale transaction has been completed.

•••
Well, maybe it's still in the escrow. Payment.com met the reserved price of $10 million, but I don't think its sale transaction has been completed.
Maybe it never happened. ;) We'll see and gotta bump 114 off when/if it's completed.

•••
Can't believe there is a .xxx there.

•••
can't see rod.tv either
~
Some sales are never reported in public .....nda

•••
i would update the title of the list to "Top 30 reported Domain Sales..", then the list might be correct..

after all there were some NDA domain sales which are dwarfing those in the above mentioned list (LG.com, RT.com and few others, although not publicly confirmed)

ps: this list seems to be more exact:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_domain_names

These are still missing in the list above:
  1. Insurance.com $35.6 million in 2010
  2. VacationRentals.com $35 million in 2007
  3. PrivateJet.com $30.1 million in 2012
  4. Internet.com $18 million in 2009
  5. Insure.com $16 million in 2009

•••
  1. Internet.com $18 million in 2009

Just picking a random one from your list I did a quick search and found:
http://www.domaininvesting.com/internet-com-related-assets-sold-for-18-million/

It seems to suggest that the sale of internet.com was not for the domain name only, rather an umbrella of companies or sub-divisions operating under internet.com brand to include many others such as internetnews.com.

This is top 30 domain sales of all time, which implies a company or content was not sold along with it.

•••
As David mentioned, the ones you listed were domain + business sales not a domain only sale but thanks.

•••
A parked domain is a business site. And, as many names in your 'Top 30' list were bought because they were doing good business as parked domains the buyer simply bought the names long tail parking profits.

Beyond that, when a domain is parked, gets de-indexed, and later sold... the buyer does get "The Business". Of course, the business value of a domain NOT in the main web search index is a big negative, but make no mistake... the buyer just bought that biz, and will need to invest time & money to try and overcome it.

Saying "Domain Only" attempts to sell the illusion that a parked domain is not a business, and that parking has no lasting impacts on a domain name. Of course, when you buy a domain you get The Whole Thing. This includes the domains track record, or history, as this Standard is key to determining all property values.

Perhaps the above (DB) list are the Top Parked Domain Sales, but...
Here are the Top Domain Sales Over $3 Million

•••
Can't believe there is a .xxx there.

It's owned by an associate .xxx company so very likely simply one of the usual registry promotional "sales".

•••
A nice list but not complete. I read an article tonight that 35M was paid for vacationrentals.com back in 2007, estibot has it listed at 173,000. :) If it's true just shows what someone will pay if they want it bad enough..

"Brian Sharples, the founder and chief executive of HomeAway site, said last year that his company paid $35m in 2007 for the name VacationRentals.com to ensure it was not bought by travel site Expedia.com."

Link: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/02/holiday-com-domain-name-20m-pounds

Update; Just watched the above video and it's listed...

•••
I don't know why VacationRentals.com and PrivateJet.com have big worth ???

•••

I'm with you but it shows if someone wants it, they will pay whatever! :)

•••
Because they were most likely established companies making revenue.

One, vacation rentals are hot with timeshares. You can own a house around the world for shifting climates till you die.

A quick peak at their website shows that they are owned by HomeAway, which pretty much owns 20 other sub-companies that do the same thing as vacationrentals. Couldn't confirm which came first, the chicken or the egg... but competition knows, buy your competition out.

With PrivateJet.com, do you know how much it costs to buy a Gulfstream 6? And if you can't afford that, how much it costs to rent a private jet? That's why the purchase of Jets.com was a no-brainer for the low price purchase of that domain, which they would have made revenue up for it in 1 fly.

•••
Wish I had some of those sales. Lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back