IT.COM

Trademark application follow-up

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello All,

Was wondering if any of members had applied for a trademark and was sent a notice from the trademark office requiring a response action after six months of the initial filing.

If you had to hire an attorney to follow-up with your application/respond to the trademark office, my question is:

Was it expensive? and can you recommend that lawyer(s)?

Any links to find a reasonable one, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot, Guys !

note: I was not sure about posting this in the "legal disputes" or the discussion area!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
>>> "Legal Issues (& Disputes)":
Legal issues facing the domain name and web development industries. May include discussion about domain name disputes, the UDRP process, trademarks and copyrights.

Good to go! :tu:
:wave:

•••
I haven't yet had the trademark office come back and request further information on my marks. What are they asking you for?

I kept a letter on file I received from an attorney offering response help. His name is Douglas White, website at www.trademarkapplicant.com

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
I haven't yet had the trademark office come back and request further information on my marks. What are they asking you for?

I kept a letter on file I received from an attorney offering response help. His name is Douglas White, website at www.trademarkapplicant.com

Hell RJ,

They are asking me to be more specific about goods and services that I will be offering; in addition to other actions. The language appears a little bit complicated! RJ, did you use "Douglas White" services?

Thanks a lot for the link!

•••
Originally posted by WaveMail.com
>>> "Legal Issues (& Disputes)":

Good to go! :tu:
:wave:

Thanks, WaveMail.com!

•••
Initial refusals are the normal course of action.

There are attorneys who troll the USPTO database looking for self-filers, to whom these attorneys send unrequested solicitations for business.

I imagine there are also attorneys who hang around emergency rooms, but I would question their ability to attract and retain clients based on the quality of their services.

----
John B. Berryhill, Ph.D. esq.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

•••
Originally posted by jberryhill
Initial refusals are the normal course of action.

There are attorneys who troll the USPTO database looking for self-filers, to whom these attorneys send unrequested solicitations for business.

I imagine there are also attorneys who hang around emergency rooms, but I would question their ability to attract and retain clients based on the quality of their services.

----
John B. Berryhill, Ph.D. esq.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Thanks, jberryhill!

•••
If the grounds of refusal are relatively simple, you can often work out the wording of the g&s in real time simply by picking up the phone and calling the Examining Attorney.

•••
When I applied for my trademark, I got one of those initial refusal letters.

It said they didn't allow trademarks of "catch phrases" or some such nonsense.

Luckily, about the same time, I got about 5 snail mail solicitations from lawyers and trademark experts who apparently watch the trademark database for initial refusals to solicit clients.

I hired one of them to write my rebuttal for me (and man it was a good one) and several months later my trademark application was approved.

I am now the proud owner of a trademark :)

My suggestion, find one of the experts that handle this kind of stuff and hire them to help you.

•••
Thanks Guys for your replies! I have hired a lawyer last week and he already wrote a response action to the examining attorney. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back