Dynadot

Transfering a domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've got two questions about transfering a domain.

1.) How does transfering a domain from one registrar to another work?

2.) How does transfering a domain from one owner to a new owner work?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1.) The registrar emails you confirmation to the administrator email listed in the who is, then renews the domain for 1 year.

2) enter the user id of the new owner and "push" it.

•••
Originally posted by darksk8er
1.) The registrar emails you confirmation to the administrator email listed in the who is, then renews the domain for 1 year.

Thanks, and "push" it? Isn't that eNom only?

•••
Originally posted by darksk8er

1.) Correct. And we typically refer to that as a "pull" (into the new Registrar). The one year renewal IS mandatory for all of the Registrars that I have come across. Be sure to factor in this cost (to the Buyer) when listing your domain names for sale to be "pulled".

2.) Within the same Registrar (Enom, GoDaddy, NameCheap, Dotster, etc., but NOT all Registrars) you simply free "push" it over to the new owner/Buyer. Very easy.

3.) NOT Enom only ... see the three others mentioned above. Stick with Registrars offering this "free push" option if you want to make your domain life a heck of a lot easier, IMHO.
Good stuff, and darksk8er is right on, just wanted to expand on it a little.
Hope that helps. :)

•••
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
1.) Correct. And we typically refer to that as a "pull" (into the new Registrar). The one year renewal IS mandatory for all of the Registrars that I have come across. Be sure to factor in this cost (to the Buyer) when listing your domain names for sale to be "pulled".

2.) Within the same Registrar (Enom, GoDaddy, NameCheap, Dotster, etc., but NOT all Registrars) you simply free "push" it over to the new owner/Buyer. Very easy.

3.) NOT Enom only ... see the three others mentioned above. Stick with Registrars offering this "free push" option if you want to make your domain life a heck of a lot easier, IMHO.
Good stuff, and darksk8er is right on, just wanted to expand on it a little.
Hope that helps. :)

:kickass: :hehe:

•••
Kings asked: How does transfering a domain... work?

Hi Kings. Sorry I am too tired to write it up in great detail now, however, there are two exceptions to transfers. First is the .INFO, .US., .BIZ exception. Those domains require that the current owner obtain the “auth info” code from the current registrar. That code must be entered when requesting the transfer – even if by the current owner.

The second exception is Verisign aka Networks Solutions exception. Basically it was my worst nightmare and required 9 phone calls, a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission, complaint to Afillias, and TWO notorized letters. Only took 13 weeks, and I knew what I was doing.

The first exception really is enhanced security to prevent transfers that are not authorized from going through. It only hurts when unscrupulous registrars use "obtaining the code" as a method of extracting another years registration from you. Eg. Some registrars will not let you transfer if the domain expires in 30 days! But that is the time period when you are most likely to transfer it!

So it would be helpful to know the domain extension that you are going to transfer, if it is a transfer in or out, and who is the current registrar.

Good luck,
William

•••
Thanks for all your replies, they're really helpful.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back