NameSilo

Travel Industry Cries To ICANN About Delay Of .TRAVEL

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
Delays over dot-travel domain name ‘insufferable’

Travel industry leaders have attacked the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) over delays in assigning '.travel' as a top level domain name.

The Travel Partnership Corporation (TTPC) - a non-profit organisation that includes representatives from the likes of UFTAA, IATA and the World Travel and Tourism Council - claimed ICANN's failure to implement the '.travel' domain was a blow to "consumer and industry hopes for a clear navigational path through the Internet maze".

The Travel Partnership said that '.travel', unlike '.com,' '.org,' or '.net', would be restricted to legitimate providers of travel-related products, services or information.

It said creation of '.travel' was a vital step in the construction of a global online travel directory to match buyers and sellers efficiently.

In an open letter to ICANN chairman Vinton Cerf, Travel Partnership chairman Jean-Claude Baumgarten described the delays as "an insufferable impediment to travel and tourism e-commerce".

Source: http://www.travelbiz.com.au/articles/da/0c01b2da.asp

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.travel ???? I forsee it as another .tv but you never know. Maybe ICANN sees how some other tld's came out and is trying to not make the same mistakes again.

•••
I think .travel is such a long extention. Who would want to type that in?

•••
yea agreed yuck who wants that, i think thats worst idea i have ever heard of....ok not the worst but pretty bad

•••
The internet is often touted as the 'great equalizer'. The last thing we need are these exclusive TLD's that are somewhat subjective anyway.

The 'Travel Partnership Corporation' is just another special interest group trying to monopolize a portion of society for themselves.

•••
well said painperdu and yea again this would be a total failure

•••
Originally posted by Kodeking
I think .travel is such a long extention. Who would want to type that in?

Maybe the same people using .museum :D

•••
I think i should propose:

.GroupsAgainstExtentionsThatHaveMoreThanThreeCharacters

•••
Originally posted by Elefekt
well said painperdu and yea again this would be a total failure

I agree to a point, but certainly wouldnt class it as a total failure.

It would potentially be a good "security blanket" for buyers as they emphasize. More so if it was regulkated to a decent level, as a buyer of travel services online, if I KNEW this company HAD to go through decent guidelines and restrictions to get a .travel domain, and they were held accountable, it would make me feel better.

Just my opinion tho :)

•••
The extension is too long!
But other than its full form, the word travel is kind of hard to be abbreviated into 3 letters. I see some potential in it though for travelling website.

•••
more grist for the mill.
more.xxx
more
biz:gn:
for all
those in
the travel IndustryB-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back