NameSilo

Using a Mailbox address for registering .COMs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I (like most people) don't want my home address listed on WHOIS and I don't want to use the proxy mail forwarding that certain resellers offer, so is this a valid (and legal) thing to do:

I already own a mailbox (*not* a postoffice PO BOX) with Mailboxes Etc. Can I use this as the contact address for all the registrant/admin contacts (with my real name of course)?

The problem I foresee is that if I ever needed to prove with a utility bill or whatever that I live at that address, of course I couldn't.

Is it possible using the (using a Tucows/AAAQ resellers) web control panel to change all these details without proving my identity with documents? If so then can't I provide my mailbox address during registration, then if I want to change ownership or sell the domain go online and briefly change it to my real address for the duration of the transfer?

Hope someone can make this absolutely clear, I've had several conflicting responses when contacting different resellers.

Chris.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought about doing that but I didn't because it just didn't seem worth it, I've had my domain since January and I've never been contacted

•••
I use a PO Box and find it the best alternative to whois protection. If needed you can always change the whois for a brief period of time and then change back.

•••
Originally posted by acts837
I use a PO Box and find it the best alternative to whois protection. If needed you can always change the whois for a brief period of time and then change back.
Is it legal to enter in a false address for the Whois information ? (This is just for keeping the address private so no one will be after me)

•••
i have before, but i changed it quickly, i dont htink its the best idea

•••
Originally posted by jstep
i have before, but i changed it quickly, i dont htink its the best idea
Is it legal though ?

•••
Originally posted by HellFear
Is it legal to enter in a false address for the Whois information ? (This is just for keeping the address private so no one will be after me)

No it is not legal in fact you can report false whois. The few bucks it costs me for a PO Box is well worth it.

•••
I use WhoisFly from RegisterFly.com, this usually solves my problem of revealing my personal information within WHOIS.

•••
I'm also using a PO box, but... What about the phone number.. I mean with reverse lookup, we can find your real adress...

You got also a private number?

•••
Originally posted by esger

cell phone

•••
I believe your not suppose to use cell phones?

•••
Originally posted by dpk87
I believe your not suppose to use cell phones?

Can you show me that in writing somewhere? I know many homes that do not have a land line. They use cellular only.

•••
No problem with That
i use fake address but real email :)

•••
I've seen a domain with the phone number being to the police department and many people have called it because it's a controversial domain. Many people have also reported it as having false whois information, but still it sits with the phone number to the police department years later.

This domain is registered with network solutions so it doesn't look like they really enforce the accurate information policy, at least for the phone number anyways. It probably just depends on the circumstances and such.

I'm sure that it has and still could lead to problems by having false information, but I dunno how likely it is. :|

•••
Originally posted by esger
I'm also using a PO box, but... What about the phone number.. I mean with reverse lookup, we can find your real adress...

If you search Google you can find a number of places offering free or low cost voicemail phone numbers. I finally gone one myself after getting one too many phone calls.

As for using a Mailboxes Etc. address for your WHOIS. There's no reason you can't or shouldn't do that. Why would you ever need to prove that you physically lived there? As long as you can get legal notices sent to that address, you're fine.

That's one reason using a false address isn't a good idea. If someone does a dispute against you, you will want to receive the notice. Lots of the proceeding is done via mail.

•••
Originally posted by acts837
No it is not legal in fact you can report false whois. The few bucks it costs me for a PO Box is well worth it.

Where can you report it? :)

Thanks.

•••
Great first post and welcome to Name Pros, Chris!
. . . Is it possible using the (using a Tucows/AAAQ resellers) web control panel to change all these details without proving my identity with documents?
If you are the owner or administrator of your domain name, all of your contact information can be changed. This process varies from registrar to registrar. Some are very easy to use. Other registrars make it very difficult and may require one or several phone calls to support staff. (Insert sad contact information update story here. :'( )

•••
•••
•••
True but many "budget" conscious people (read cheap) don't want to spend the money. Besides thats the easy way out.

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
If you search Google you can find a number of places offering free or low cost voicemail phone numbers. I finally gone one myself after getting one too many phone calls.

Thanks RJ!

I'm getting many phone calls too! Graphics, hosting etc.
I'll try to find one of these free or cheap voicemail phone numbers.

But i'm from Quebec/Canada... Seems most of these providers are in USA...

•••
Just be sure you can access your domain account
anytime (meaning keep your username/id & password
safe!). That way, you can change the details at will.

One reason why valid contact info is needed is if you
need to send a fax to validate your request. Since
domain registrars really have no idea if the person
sending it is legit, they base the contact info from
their domain's WHOIS record.

But again, as long as you have your log-in info, you
normally won't have to send proof of identity to
your registrar.

You can always input whatever mailing address,
email address, and phone number you want as long
as your domain registrar can reach you.

If your domain registrar does reach you via phone,
email, or mail, then respond as soon as possible
so your domain won't get into trouble.

Feel free to ask more!

•••
Originally posted by davezan

You can always input whatever mailing address,
email address, and phone number you want as long
as your domain registrar can reach you.

Valid whois information is suppose to be used. Sure, I see alot of bogus info out there but for me and my house we will play by the rules.

•••
For now, I use all my own info. I have considered using less personal but legal contact info. There are legal ways to keep your private info private and still comply with whois requirements.

Name: You can start an LLC, partnership, or corporation just to hold the domain names. The domain can be listed with this entity as owner. Personal names can be accessed publicly from (in the US) the secretary of state where you filed, but with a little more difficulty.

Address: You can list a PO Box, or even your work address, as long as you can be reached there by mail. The only junk mail I've gotten has been from NSI an DRA, but I do has some reservations about my home address being so accessible.

Phone: If you just want privacy, you can use a phone forwarding service, answering service as mentioned or even get an 800 forwarding service (like kall8.com) if you are willing to pay for a few calls. I DO want a valid number listed since I get occassional offers to purchase via the whois phone number. The problem I see with using cell numbers is the potential cost of calls.

Fax: A fax is normally optional anyway, but you can get an efax number for free or cheap that you can access via email conversion from your inbox.

Email: My worst problem is email spamming from the whois list. However, I do want to be contactable for offers and renewals. The spam protection will work to protect spam, but alls could thwart potential offers. I just have a separate email for whois that I whitelist the registrars domains and filter for potential good offers or bad spam.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back