Dynadot

Using Pokemon in a logo?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Veolus

Account Closed
Impact
Hello everyone,

I am planning to get a graphics/web designer to design a logo using a pokemon, basically, he/she will modify this picture of this pokemon (ledyba)

http://www.ktf-split.hr/~eni/goran/pokemon/slike/165.gif

He/she will change the red parts and the black spots on the back to make it that the red parts are blue and the black spots are orange instead.

Is this legal? Would i have to contact the Pokemon people and ask their permission or something? :D

Thanks! Hope you can help me :) Don't want to get into any trouble..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you change it a LOT then I don't think there'll be any problems. However, if it looks really close to the pokemon itself - you might have some problems. Based on what you said, I wouldn't worry, though.

•••
Thanks for your advice, vip-ip :)

•••
Just the fact you say you are using a derivitive (spellcheck?) of the work means its illegal.

•••
Hmmm then you think i should contact the people behind Pokemon and ask them for their views on this?

•••
Honestly, Pokemon is dead. I very much doubt that any legal action will be taken.

•••
Umm? Pokemon is not dead is it still a very popular Nintendo product. I suggest you just pay someone to make you an new character.

•••
pokemon is very mcuh alive and they could still press charges...

•••
Bill Bomb said:

:bingo:

You need to contact them IMO.

•••
Bill Bomb said:

Since when? :o ...............

:p

•••
i think you should contact them , if you change the picture more then theres no worrys :imho:

•••
I haven't seen pokemon in 5 years.

•••
Joseph said:
Bill Bomb said:

Since when? :o ...............

:p
since when they just realeased a new pokemon game for GBA... dude pokemon has been alive for ages... it was dead at one point until they released a new game...

anyways Neil... maybe try getting your graphics guy to "BASE" this character on that pokemon?

•••
The game sector is my main focus. I owned a game store for 10 years I know these products like the back of my hand.

Pokemon is huge STILL! Not nearly as big as it once was as yugioh has replaced it but the pokemon world is and it's characters are still being developed. Nintendo releases new Pokemon games annually and they sell very well.

Just because you don't see ad after ad for Pokemon on the TV doesn't mean it's not big. When was the last time you saw a commercial for a Mario game? It's just not needed. Nintendo doesn't seem to need TV ads anymore for it's branded merchandise. It's commonplace now.

Amazon lists the newest Pokemon Emerald game as #15 top seller in the game category and #95 in the electronics category.

Go to Pokemon.com and you will see a very extensive and active site that's updated often. Look at the obvious Nintendo disclaimers on the bottom.

I don't see why you can't just get some teenager to draw you a new character. Go to xaxay.com or vgamin.com and post that you are looking for an artist. You could pay $10-$20 and get your own character.

•••
I doubt you will have any problems, because I seen the Pokemon and other cartoons used in different logos.

•••
He asked if it was illegal and the answer it yes. Also having images of pokemon is one thing...but he states he wants to use this in his logo. That's a BIG BIG NO-NO!

Will NOA do anything to you? I would guess not but the fact remains that they can.

•••
Here is the downright truth:

Is it legal?

No, you are using a copyrighted image.

Will the press charges?

No, I have seen many sites do it in the past, and chances are they will not press charges.

•••
I have sent Pokemon an email through the Mail Bag section at www.pokemon.com . I am currently waiting for a reply. :)

•••
Why dont you jsut modifiy the logo instead of hasseling pokemon.com ?

I can modify your little bettle or even make it 3D if you put the right price down.

Some of my work is at www.omili.com

•••
I Have worked in the past For a Nintendo division
No they may not press charges. But do you really want to risk that.
Why did you pick the POKEMON character ,because you knew it was a recognised Image. That alone is a basis for TM infringement.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back