NameSilo

Very Real Political Spoof Site

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OddTop

The eBay GuyEstablished Member
Impact
I found a site callled www.MikeMcGavick.com, he is running for US senate from washington state, and its a spoof site (look at the word fansite on the bottom).

Is this site illegal? I've heard people want to sue the owner.

Curious because I am working on a spoof site like this, but people are really pissed - I don't want to be sued if I do the same thing.
Fem

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You already asked this. Political speech was the whole reason for the first amedment. The answer is not going to change from what you got before, including before at least one answer by a lawyer.

Now, being sued is different, you can always be sued. Just quite unlikely to lose by law.

•••
Then my question is: What is the likelyness of being sued?

I just want to be very caeful, you know?
Thanks,

•••
It depends on who's buttons you're pushing.

•••
ManicGirl said:
It depends on who's buttons you're pushing.
:bingo:

Now my own personal guess is that a politician is going to be aware of the law, plus be aware that suing will give the site tons more publicity. So I would say low. Since you can defend the suit, does it matter if you are sued?

If you really want to be very careful, then don't do it and stay anonymous. Any time you bring attention to your self you are not being 'very careful'.

•••
What is the likelyness of being sued?

Well, either they sue you or they don't. So that's 50/50, right?

The likelihood that any particular individual will sue you is entirely unpredictable. The likelihood that the action will buy them the kind of publicity they don't want is nearly 100%.

gwbush.com is a hilarious site on those occasions when they get around to doing something with it.

•••
Refer to my last reply to your first thread in which you asked the very same question.

Brian

---------------------------------------------------------
In no way should it be misconstrued that I do not disagree.
-Willy Clinton

•••
if you're so afraid, then just forget about your spoof site. its much safer that way.

•••
if you're so afraid, then just forget about your spoof site. its much safer that way.

That's very good advice. If some huffing and puffing is going to give you heart palpitations, life is too short not to enjoy it.

•••
feminist said:
I found a site callled www.MikeMcGavick.com, he is running for US senate from washington state, and its a spoof site (look at the word fansite on the bottom).

Is this site illegal? I've heard people want to sue the owner.

Curious because I am working on a spoof site like this, but people are really pissed - I don't want to be sued if I do the same thing.
Fem

That site, www.MikeMcGavick.com, is no longer up. Says "Under construction."

My advice to you, especially if you are an American, is to drop the idea because America is not longer a free nation. We turned fascist several years ago when BC took office and then his brother GW. 2 fascists in a row tells me that this is no longer a free country. Not to mention the swarm of fascists all through the government.

Think twice before you do anything in America. We're all under watch and we (the people) are the ones who are considered the terrorists. Don't let the war on terror fool you. It's not "rogue nations" who are under watch and attack, it is the American people. That includes you, feminist or not.

•••
What happened to democracy? What happened to the so-called "Freedom of speech" and rights to express yourself?

World is getting really corrupt!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back