IT.COM

discuss 5 length value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ragnorosso

Impact
Hello everyone!

every day, I look for the daily expired domains from 3 letters to 5 letters.
However I find always my self looking in this listing and thinking if the domain has a value or not.
Sometimes I select 3-5 domains that to me sounds interesting, but I'm always in that uncertain position where I don't know if it can be sold or not.

I try to ask my guts about it, but I can't really be that sure.

So I want to ask you guys, how do you evaluate a 5 length domain?
How can I understand if a domain is brandable or not?

Thank you for the advices

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just for learning I'll write the 5 letters domains I bought when I trusted my feelings:

ekkea.com
yoqle.com
uxgas.com
oki77.com

Reason why I bought them:

ekkea-yoqle: I like the sound of them. Just that.
uxgas: gas keyword in it. Thought can be sold for that reason
oki77: oki is a nice keyword...2 double letters...it can be easy memorized.

Last edited:
•••
I only fancy ekkea a bit. It's pronouncable and sounds brandable but I'm not sure if it's worth much. Uxgas MAYBE but I wouldn't bet on it.

The other two I don't like at all, especially the one wuth the numbers. Letters and numbers don't mix, especially if you're going for brandables.

These are my opinions but I'm just a noob.

•••
I only fancy ekkea a bit. It's pronouncable and sounds brandable but I'm not sure if it's worth much. Uxgas MAYBE but I wouldn't bet on it.

The other two I don't like at all, especially the one wuth the numbers. Letters and numbers don't mix, especially if you're going for brandables.

These are my opinions but I'm just a noob.

Thank you for your answer!
What do you consider in evaluatinga 5-letter?

•••
Check Namebio for domain sales and try finding why they were sold at that price.

•••
So I want to ask you guys, how do you evaluate a 5 length domain?
Simple and more subtle questions such as:
Does the name pass the radio test ? Is it memorable ? Is it unique enough to make a strong brand ? Does it have a possible negative connotation (check out in foreign languages !) ? Or on the contrary do you get a warm fuzzy feeling when you see/hear it. Is it easy to spell and remember ? Pronounceable ?

ekkea-yoqle: I like the sound of them. Just that.
These names are nothing special. There are 11,881,376 possible combinations in 5L domains. But most are garbage and not desirable. For example zqhxx is useless. Tinto is a good brandable. Obviously the best combos are long gone.

uxgas: gas keyword in it. Thought can be sold for that reason
But it limits your purpose a lot. If the only buyers are in the gas industry the pool of potential buyers is tiny. The odds of winning the lottery are higher than making a sale.
oki77: oki is a nice keyword...2 double letters...it can be easy memorized.
What's the meaning of 77 here ? What makes this name more valuable than oki88 or oki44 or aki99 ? It is confusing and puzzling, a good brandable domain should be readily accepted by consumers and not raise questions about linguistics, if people question your branding choices you're on the wrong track.
Mixing letters and digits seldom works well, unless it's a particular, meaningful combo eg v2, v8, h2o, mp3, mp4 etc.
Chinese or Arabic numerology is a different matter.

•••
value is in the words of the domain - size is a secondary factor

the only exception would be 4L and 3L

Last edited:
•••
In my short time and limited knowledge I find these combinations have the best success:
Cvccv, Vccvv, Cvcvv
So the only to examples you gave that would pass that test are:
ekkea
yoqle

Last edited:
•••
i think UXgas is fine but it requires a 'DIE HARD' Unique name finders to use it, if for branding.

•••
H

Thank you for the advices

“brandable domains” mean domains that are non-keyword names with no specific descriptive meaning.
While the name might have direct reference to the business or product, these domains don’t specifically spell it out. Instead they convey character, values, or qualities of the brand, product, or service.

These non-descriptive domains build strong brand value over time; and they also allow for flexibility in the brand in that they are not permanently tagged or associated with a narrow descriptive category.

•••
use tools and refine with your sense, does it make sense ? if make sense, bet on it! and hopefully luck on your side! :xf.grin:

test it with outbound, if someone interested and your domain have good metrics, most of the time, soon or later! whether NP reseller will buy it from you or End user will buy from you! :xf.grin:

choose 10-20 names rinse and repeat! I am sure the worse investment are Break even point or BEP, but if you lucky, you will get good ROI, something like 10.000%:xf.grin: or maybe more!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back