Dynadot

news $900,000 a year ICANN Salary? Doesn't that seem excessive?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
"According to Cruz, Chehade is in the pocket of the Chinese government because he has accepted or will accept flight-plus-hotel expenses to a Chinese conference, which could distract him from his $900,000-a-year ICANN salary."

http://www.domainsherpa.com/wp-cont...-china-conflict-denied-as-cruz-looks-for-dirt

I don't know about you guys, but that seems extremely excessive for an ICANN salary. I thought ICANN was a non-profit organization.

So now I know where all those ICANN fees are going. No wonder ICAAN has let so many junk gtlds come to market.

So do you think $900,000 a year is crazy for an ICANN employee?

I do!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This issue crops up every other time. Are ICANN executives over-paid. some people think they are, some people think what they get paid is in line with whats paid to people in similar positions in other organisations. I opt for the latter.

As for accepting free flights etc from the Chinese, from what I understand that is the way business is done there. Freebies are offered to clients and potential clients.

•••
Some other international organizations heads earn more...therefore the mentioned pay is normal.

•••
I'll run ICANN for $90,000 a yr.

ICANN PM me for the job interview. I'll save you some money ;)

•••
Better still you can PM them to let them know you are available and ready to save them money. At least we`ll have a domainer in charge.

•••
Some other international organizations heads earn more...therefore the mentioned pay is normal.

Some mid level bankers earn that when you factor in bonuses and perks.

•••
I would straighten things out real quick, or at least until they started lining my pockets. ;)

Once they bumped my pay up from $90k to $900K, I guess I would fall in line with the rest of them too.

•••
As long as you straighten things out quick enough before you get corrupted:D. Sorting out registrars like 1&1 wont be a bad start.

•••
So do you think $900,000 a year is crazy for an ICANN employee?
It's impossible to know the true value of the person unless you see all the decision they make within their role. Perhaps they are shrewd and save more than that over and over again from good decisions, where someone else, eg even on $50K, might actually cost more in the long run because they're not as shrewd.

Remember, it's a funny ol' game ;)

•••
James that is true.

I just see some bad things coming out of ICANN with little support for us.

Now if they had our best interest in mind all the time, I would say pay the man $1million++, but it seems like they hired a monkey to pull the slot machine lever all day. No offense to Mr. Chehade of course.

My monkey and slot machine reference is to their decision to allow the nGTLD mess to come to out. They keep pulling the lever hoping for that jackpot. Some are winners, others should be flushed.

•••
for me 900k in salary is too much.
if those salary are the same also in other organization, also those are too high.
i don't say give to them 30k per year but 900k is too much

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back