Domain Empire

A .us question.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Do you have to be a registered US citizen to buy a .us domain name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I don't have MS word or any other reader installed on my pc just now, could someone please tell me what it says?

•••
Registrants in the usTLD must be either:
1.A natural person (i) who is a United States citizen, (ii) who is a permanent resident of the
United States of America or any of its possessions or territories, or (iii) whose primary place
of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions [Nexus Category 1],
2.A United States entity or organization that is (i) incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S.
states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories, or (ii)
organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America,
the District of Columbia or any of its possessions or territories (including a federal, state, or
local government of the United States or a political subdivision thereof, and non-commercial
organizations based in the United States) [Nexus Category 2], or
3.A foreign entity or organization that has a bona fide presence in the United States of America
or any of its possessions or territories [Nexus Category 3].

•••
A foreign entity or organization that has a bona fide presence in the United States of America
or any of its possessions or territories [Nexus Category 3].

---->

Prospective Registrants will certify that they have a “bona fide presence in the United States” on
the basis of real and substantial lawful connections with, or lawful activities in, the United States
of America. This requirement is intended to ensure that only those individuals or organizations
that have a substantive lawful connection to the United States are permitted to register for usTLD
domain names.

•••
Damn. *Sigh*. They don't often check up on all .us owners do they?

•••
Originally posted by Nintwa
Damn. *Sigh*. They don't often check up on all .us owners do they?

Who knows how often they "check up" ... if the *rules* as outlined above are followed, there'd be no reason to worry about the potential for risk of losing an .US domain, IMHO.

•••
Set up a simple, low cost LLC in Delaware and therefore you could legally register all of the .us domains you wish.. Just an idea which would help you jump through the hoops if needed.
Goodluck!

•••
What is a low cost LLC? I have never heard of one?

Also, out of curiosity, if perhaps I was renting a server that was in the US would I be able to register a us name lawfully?

•••
Originally posted by Nintwa
What is a low cost LLC? I have never heard of one?

Also, out of curiosity, if perhaps I was renting a server that was in the US would I be able to register a us name lawfully?

LLC = Limited Liability Corp.

** ONE INDIVIDUAL can hold ALL OFFICE titles.. makes for an easy streamline corp. formation.

and the LLC is most favored over the 'corp' etc.. as it allows the corp. to bypass the double taxation.

more later!

not sure about your us server rental idea.. i don't believe that would make you "qualified" as a us entity/resident etc.

•••
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

IDEA #763.099.232.001:

Let's set up a marriage agency in these forums so that we may marry one another in order to register domain names in each others respective country!

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

•••
WOO! *Gets on one knee...* James... cdo you care to marry, me, David?

Lol.. HONEYMOON!

•••
lol haha, your welcome to sweden on your honeymoon :)

•••
:o

Ummm . . . I think you're getting the wrong idea with this . . . but I guess if the name is valuable enough . . .

:o

•••
•••
•••
•••
Does this mean I can propose next? :xf.love:

•••
ummm... back on topic... I've never heard of anyone having a .us revoked because they did not qualify. Somehow I think that is unlikely to happen. Of course, anything could happen in the future, and this should not be seen as encouragement to break the rules. I'm just saying that I don't think they are enforced.

•••
I second the motion. Or in other words, I haven't ever seen anyone losing their a .us because they didn't meet the requirements...

•••
I don't think so... why would that matter. If you do, then that is stupid.

•••
Why would being a Us citizen matter in buying a .us? Well I guess the US wants to maintain some control over things representing them. Makes sense to me. But that's just an opinion. :bah:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back