NameSilo

AdSense Revenue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now I know that the TOS dictates you can't talk about the money being generated...but I hope you can hint enough to give me an idea.

I've created a few sites in my time and now am looking to create one for my girlfriend, who has some knowledge in a particular area. She needs some extra income, and I'd like it if this worked out so she wouldn't have to go get a real job like me :(

Basically, her goal is $500 a month. Having never used Adsense I do not know if this is realistic.

If I create a site with useful, specific, targeted information, and advertised this site to spread the word, is $500 a month a resonable target? How many vistors, on average, would be need for this type of income, considering an average click percentage?

Thanks for any help.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's a very large initial target. You should be aiming for much less at first and then as the site grows in popularity, so will adsense profits. It also depends largely on the topic of the website. What will be the site's topics?

•••
Depends on the genre of site and the ads you want to run. A good goal to earn that income would be to build traffic to around 2000 visitors a day to your website.

•••
-RJ- said:
Depends on the genre of site and the ads you want to run. A good goal to earn that income would be to build traffic to around 2000 visitors a day to your website.

Eh, trial and error might be the only way to determine for sure...

I have sites that get 2,000 a day but make relative pennies, and sites that get 10's of visitors a day and do considerably better.

Depends on the topic, the nature of the site, like you said.

My best bet would be 500 a day for a topic with "high priced" clicks, 2,000 - 4,000 a day for a topic that doesn't command high enough premiums.

-Allan

•••
Yep, you're right Allan. There's no way to know for sure.

Hypothetical calculation for the 2000 visitor/day goal I suggested:

Divide $500 by 30 days, leaves a goal of earning $16.67 per day.
Visitorship of 2000/day would require earning $8.34 revenue per thousand visitors.
3 ad units per page, 3 average pageviews per visitor = 9 ad units shown per visitor.
9000 ads shown per 1000 visitors that need to earn avg of $8.34 = $.93 CPM goal.

I can't say if this is possible or not with Adsense.

•••
i doubt it is unles you get a high number of visitors, but like others have said it depends on your topic

•••
Thanks guys for the info. I appreciate it.

•••
-RJ- said:
Yep, you're right Allan. There's no way to know for sure.

Hypothetical calculation for the 2000 visitor/day goal I suggested:

Divide $500 by 30 days, leaves a goal of earning $16.67 per day.
Visitorship of 2000/day would require earning $8.34 revenue per thousand visitors.
3 ad units per page, 3 average pageviews per visitor = 9 ad units shown per visitor.
9000 ads shown per 1000 visitors that need to earn avg of $8.34 = $.93 CPM goal.

I can't say if this is possible or not with Adsense.

Perfect logic :)

-Allan

•••
RJ is 100% correct. Do some math, perhaps on excel, to see exactly how many people you would need per day to achieve your goal. Good Luck!

•••
dan_Vt said:
I've created a few sites in my time and now am looking to create one for my girlfriend, who has some knowledge in a particular area.

If her knowledge is solid then she write a book then use a website or two to promote the book. AdSense will add supplimental income especially if she posts a lot of free book content or related articles on the site.

AmCy

•••
let me put it this way - if your website is about a high paying topic, you can make an average of $3-$5 per click...

if the website is on a low paying topic you will need 50-75 clicks to earn that same amount

•••
Thanks for all the feedback!

•••
GT Web said:
let me put it this way - if your website is about a high paying topic, you can make an average of $3-$5 per click...

if the website is on a low paying topic you will need 50-75 clicks to earn that same amount

WOW! So, whats a high paying topic? :blink:

•••
mediaspree said:
WOW! So, whats a high paying topic? :blink:

Anything that someone else could earn a lot of money from ;)

Think:

Satellite TV
Domain Names
Lawsuits
Plasma Televisions
"free gift cards"

etc.

-Allan

•••
Thanks for the reply. See I get on average 90 clicks a day on one site that I have. It must be a low paying keyword though as I make FAR less (like 1% of $3-5). I'm just thinking if I could the same format as my current site but change the subject matter, market it the same way, with $3-5 returns per click, at 90 clicks a day, I could live (well) off Google Adsense.
:sold:

Clearly a dream but it can't hurt to try

•••
You don't need to change the topic, just fill your page with some words that pay better than the ones you have now ;)

-Allan

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back