IT.COM

Afternic recommended?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Would you say joining Afternic and spending the $20 for a seller account pays off? Do they really have such a market penetration to let you easily sell domains/reach buyers? Are there any additional costs/fees for a sale?

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Would you say joining Afternic and spending the $20 for a seller account pays off? Do they really have such a market penetration to let you easily sell domains/reach buyers? Are there any additional costs/fees for a sale?

Thank you

Easily? - No! - Since there are millions of domains in their pool of domains that potential domain buyers will encounter it's not going to dramatically increase your chances of a domain sale.

And if the reason you have interest because of their so-called "world-class sales team" that are "promoting" your domains...then lose that idea right away because that's just sales hype and an absolute lie.

They don't have a team of people actively promoting your domain(s) - they have people sitting by the phone sipping coffee all day long and waiting for incoming calls from people dialing the This Domain is For Sale number on an Afternic parking page.

So in a nutshell, you're paying $20,00 to increase your chance of a domain sale with 0.00939323% considering the amount of domains they have to offer via their portfolio end users have to sift through.

You spend your money better and increase your chances by doing your own end user prospecting and buying stamps and cover telephone costs to inform them you have a very suitable domain for their business, marketing strategy.

So would I recommend it?

Nope!

•••
I guess it would depend on what $20 is relative to the value of your portfolio. If you had say, only $1000 invested in domains, I'd say it's probably not worth it -- if you have tens/hundreds of thousands, then what's $20 relative to the value of your portfolio?

If you have domains end users might be interested in, then Afternic might be worth it. They do a real good job getting short domains sold to end users for example.

•••
I think it's a no-brainer. Pay the $20. Your first sale is going to recover the price of admittance. Sales, like everywhere else, don't come fast though. List at Sedo and elsewhere also.

•••
It seems that the majority of big sales come from Sedo, judging by DNJournal's report each week, but i was interested in finding another Auction site myself too :) I'm on Sedo and Godaddy, but obviously you wanna be in as many places as you can. My portfolio isnt large enough to warrant this extra source just yet, but just wanted to say thanks for the opinions guys.

I take it you guys dont think the "featured" option is any better on Sedo.com?

•••
My first couple of years at Afternic, I had some decent sales through them. Once they implemented the "extended" listing options (or whatever it's called) I never got any offers after that. So, I let my membership expire a few months ago...

•••
I fully agree with Damion.

•••
I can say that if you have a large enough portfolio - the answer is yes. More exposure on platforms like Afternic and Sedo is a good thing (mostly). I have sold $xx,xxx worth of domain names on Afternic and clearly the $20 was well worth it.

(Ive also somehow managed to make referral income from Afternic as well, so the membership basically pays for itself).

Justin

•••
Id say the $20 yearly fee is worth as you get your names shown on buydomains.com also when you list with Afternic

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back