Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek Guad

Established Member
Impact
Estibot Appraisal: $640
Godaddy Appraisal: $1,253.00 - $2,327.00

I like this word, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sry but I wouldn't reg it if it was available. Info requires very strong keywords for value. I don't see a domain that can make money for a buyer here. I didn't even hand reg playtime.info for $3 - someone else took it though :(. Info is hard to peg unless it's a top-notch keyword.

•••
But there are 33k searches/mo with a 10.18$ cpc for the word "amplitude" - so I don't understand your feedback, seems like a very strong keyword to me.

•••
Search volume and cpc aren't a perfect correlation to domain value but since you already own it try to sell it, obviously. It's about the odds. xxxx - very low. xxx - unlikely. xx - possible.

•••
•••
Any other opinions? bump?

•••
But there are 33k searches/mo with a 10.18$ cpc for the word "amplitude" - so I don't understand your feedback, seems like a very strong keyword to me.

The .info extension is not very strong. Usually, it is popular when (as @xdomainer said) you have strong keywords. The keyword "amplitude" might seem good to you and lure you with the seemingly good stats, but it is an abstract concept, thus losing its search value when paired with a .info domain.

•••
I agree with the extension, and how it's not the most ideal. However, I disagree with your interpretation of the keyword.

Amplitude: The amplitude of a periodic variable is a measure of its change over a single period. There are various definitions of amplitude, which are all functions of the magnitude of the difference between the variable's extreme values. <--- From Wiki

Yes, this concept could be considered abstract but then things like, VR, religion, google, etc, and any other form of measurement, by that logic, would be abstract concepts too. Does that make them lose search value? I don't think so... but maybe. Also, amplitude has multiple definitions - that's just one.

When I first got it, I thought it would be a cool brand for something to do with music (amps) - but the possibilities are far beyond just that. Also, the .info extension is on the rise. There are many websites of high value that use it. For example, my personal favorites: dogechain.info and blockchain.info - very reputable and frequently visited by millions a month.

I do appreciate the feedback though, even if I don't agree. ;)

Various perspectives welcomed!

•••
I agree with the extension, and how it's not the most ideal. However, I disagree with your interpretation of the keyword.

Amplitude: The amplitude of a periodic variable is a measure of its change over a single period. There are various definitions of amplitude, which are all functions of the magnitude of the difference between the variable's extreme values. <--- From Wiki

Yes, this concept could be considered abstract but then things like, VR, religion, google, etc, and any other form of measurement, by that logic, would be abstract concepts too. Does that make them lose search value? I don't think so... but maybe. Also, amplitude has multiple definitions - that's just one.

When I first got it, I thought it would be a cool brand for something to do with music (amps) - but the possibilities are far beyond just that. Also, the .info extension is on the rise. There are many websites of high value that use it. For example, my personal favorites: dogechain.info and blockchain.info - very reputable and frequently visited by millions a month.

I do appreciate the feedback though, even if I don't agree. ;)

Various perspectives welcomed!

Derek, you said "Yes, this concept could be considered abstract but then things like, VR, religion, google, etc, and any other form of measurement, by that logic, would be abstract concepts too.", don't forget that what you mentioned requires branding. For you to add value to your Amplitude.info you (or the end user) would need to build a brand around it.

Most resellers won't want it because of the reasons I mentioned and if you want to cater to the end-user you would need to put a lot of time and effort into it -- not worth it if you value your time. Not to mention most end-users would be put off by the .info extension, it's a very tough sell.

.info might be on the rise as you said, but for the wrong reasons. To me it's just an obsolete extension that made sense a decade ago, not anymore.

•••
Fair enough, to each their own. Agree to disagree I guess. This still being the information age, us being on the information highway, I think .info is just as relevant as ever. ;)

•••
Fair enough, to each their own. Agree to disagree I guess. This still being the information age, us being on the information highway, I think .info is just as relevant as ever. ;)

I will share a little comparison with you to illustrate why .info is obsolete.

Look at Yahoo, a complete disaster, do you know why it's failing? Because its core principle is outdated, it didn't adapt and didn't innovate. And its management is not open to shift it. The portal model is dead and so are expressions such as "information age" and extensions such as ".info" - outdated.

The same happens with the .info extension, a decade ago it would be popular, information directories were popular, people referred to this Era as the Information Age, like you just did. The problem is: that's past and some people are stuck there.

But again, I am just sharing an opinion.

•••
Out of the top 1 million websites in the world, 13,000+ are with the .info extension. The fourth most popular after the obvious: .com, .net, .org (source)

More than: .biz, .edu, .gov, .mobi and more.

So, I definitely don't think .info is obsolete at all.

Yahoo isn't a great parallel to run against the .info domain either because the reason why yahoo is failing is poor management above anything else, as you mentioned.

I would assert it was LESS popular a decade ago compared to now.

I hold stats and figures above opinions (including my own), and the stats/figures don't look too shabby. I also really like the .info extensions because I feel it is far more intuitive then a lot of other extensions.

•••
Out of the top 1 million websites in the world, 13,000+ are with the .info extension. The fourth most popular after the obvious: .com, .net, .org

More than: .biz, .edu, .gov, .mobi and more.

So, I definitely don't think .info is obsolete at all.

Yahoo isn't a great parallel to run against the .info domain either because the reason why yahoo is failing is poor management above anything else, as you mentioned.

I would assert it was LESS popular a decade ago compared to now.

I hold stats and figures above opinions (including my own), and the stats/figures don't look too shabby. I also really like the .info extensions because I feel it is far more intuitive then a lot of other extensions.

The root cause Yahoo is failing is because it operates using the outdated concept of "portal". The bad management is just an extra problem.

You can't just look at the figures and make a decision, there are many factors into play and that's what you aren't paying attention to, figures are a complement to decision making. I gave my opinion based on your particular case. But I will show you what I mean -- also using figures since you said "I hold stats and figures above opinions".

Looking are recent (all from 2016) .info sales we get this scenario:
galapagosislands.net 3,500 USD
3006.net 697 USD
extension100years.net 375 USD
shelve.net 300 USD
xnnn.net 219 USD
walkers.net 189 USD
wbhd.net 162 USD

You got 4 figures for galapagosislands.net because it is keyword rich. In your case, yours is not, on top of that it is an abstract concept and, as I told you before, to sell it you would need to invest a lot of time, if you value your time, that means losing money.

So let's put it this way: selling abstract concepts using .info extensions is a waste of time and money.

If you have a strong keyword .net domain that is not abstract and the figures are promising, then and only then you can profit and invest on something worth your time.

I am not saying this just to disagree with you, but this is what forums are about, sharing ideas and learning with one another.

•••
Once again, agree to disagree. I hear what you are saying, but we are clearly of different philosophies. Regardless, thank you for your input!

•••
Interesting discussion here. I'll chime in since I've been looking at .info names a lot lately.

The tricky thing I find about .info names is that the sales seem to be really unpredictable. If you're talking about making sales of $XXX and up, then your best bet is likely to go with a killer keyword, often product or service related (check out Printers.info, Brand.info, Mortgage.info).

Outside of that, you're either hoping to get lucky that you can target the perfect buyer, or that they can find you. But I believe it's rare these days for an end user to target a .info name to build a new brand.

I think you're on the right track, though... Search volume, CPC, and competition level are all important factors. And while "Amplitude" isn't necessarily a product/service term, it's still something people could want information about, which means it can be monetized more easily than other names.

Also try using ZFbot to see how many related sites there are. If it's in the thousands, then you're in better shape.

I'll give you a little sample of my limited .info experience here on NP:

- sold Propel at auction for $5
- sold Bestie at auction for $5
- sold DataCentre at auction for $30
- currently at auction: Sewer. Price is up to $10 at the moment.

Biggest difference between the first and last two? Product/service correlation. The first two got huge search volume, but low CPC, and no tie to anything commercial. I would rate Amplitude somewhere in the middle of those names. But I could be way off!

Best test is to throw it up for auction here and see what happens. NP folks are no dummies, so if you make a bit of coin, then you'll know that your instincts served you well.

And if you're interested, I saw a couple interesting .info names that were dropped awhile back:

EmailEncryption
WetBasement

Both get a few thousand searches and high CPC. Low related sites, but very, very easy to develop a product/service related site around these terms. They could work as quick flips on here. But yeah... you're usually not looking at big money with .info unless you're really patient and resourceful.

•••
Thank you Joe,

I am happy to hear from someone that also sees the value in .info. I have always liked the .info extension even before I started domaining. It is just so intuitive compared to the other extensions. Those are some awesome .info's you got there and I saw the DataCentre auction in real time ;). Congrats on your sales btw. I do think I will be seeking out an end user for Amplitude.info. That's 1/2 the fun to me anyways - the possibility of finding someone who will develop a domain I picked into something really awesome. I can hope at least.

I think my strategy moving forward with .info's are to focus around something that people won't immediately know... like what amplitude is. That way, the extension is serving it's natural purpose... "info"

I appreciate your feedback Joe, and it's nice to know some others are feeling the love for .info.

•••
I like .info a lot, but it has to be an upper level keyword imo to have end user value. Car and mortgage sold for $75k and $35k last year, as those have real potential for consumers to visit the websites. Amplitude might have good search numbers, but those searches are most likely for "amplitude of graph/wave/etc", so it is graphs or waves that people want info about.

Amplitude is good but .info sales favor specific uses, so it's high end sale potential is limited. I think $xx is reasonable to expect. Best of luck.

•••
Thank you finder. I am hoping to turn it into either a brand (which may or may not have something to do with the actual keyword) or an info site. Or sell it lol.

Thank you for your input guys!

•••
Thank you finder. I am hoping to turn it into either a brand (which may or may not have something to do with the actual keyword) or an info site. Or sell it lol.

Thank you for your input guys!

You're welcome Derek, if you want to develop it into a brand it might work.

An idea just popped up in my mind. PM if you're interested.

•••
Hi, thank you for the showing this niche :) I feel from my previous few experience that "amplitude" is trademark issues with them amplitude.com, but i am not sure! I'd like to say amplitude.com appraisal is $X,XXX and amplitude.info appraisal is X,XX maybe. If the word "amplitude" has trademark issues with them then no values!

Last edited:
•••
You're right, amplitude.com is TM'd, but amplitude is a dictionary word... but then again so is apple... so I don't know, maybe an informative site then ^_^

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back