Dynadot

status-monitor Anarchy in "Domain Names Wanted" forum

Spaceship
Watch
I don't know if you checked the "domain names wanted" forum lately. New members are spamming all threads with their s...ty domains and this section has become unusable. Please, make something about it. I guess the restriction of sellers to post in the threads was a very good idea.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One forum I frequent?
The owner just got tired of spammers and scammers opening accounts, post their scams and spams, then open another account when banned.
So he shut off registering!
Now people have to ask him to be a member.
And yes, the spam and scam dropped to 0 right away.
And present members are happy about the new registration rule.

•••
I recently joined a forum like what you've mentioned. It seems to be doing good

One forum I frequent?
The owner just got tired of spammers and scammers opening accounts, post their scams and spams, then open another account when banned.
So he shut off registering!
Now people have to ask him to be a member.
And yes, the spam and scam dropped to 0 right away.
And present members are happy about the new registration rule.

•••
i think it'd cause more spam lol

•••
•••
no its serious, if the limit was 100 posts, new ppl would be rushing to make it there, making your 20x spam now quite possibly open to more interaction, but possibly, dummy interacion too

•••
Mods monitor things. A bunch of fluff posts would be seen in a negative light. Perhaps the 2-outta-3 thing would e best: otherwise X posts, X rating, and/or X months on the forum

no its serious, if the limit was 100 posts, new ppl would be rushing to make it there, making your 20x spam now quite possibly open to more interaction, but possibly, dummy interacion too

•••
if they were seen, you're saying basically program something and monitor it less. While it's not ideal, but its what would happen eventually

•••
Thanks again for all the feedback. We are building and testing solutions from your comments to make the Domain Names Wanted area useful for both buyers and sellers. :)

•••
why not return it to the previous format - where you can only Private Message in the wanted section.

•••
This was done back when I was a mod. Thing is, it's a bandage: the problem will still exist,only in private ie instead of spam posts, users would get spam PM's.

why not return it to the previous format - where you can only Private Message in the wanted section.

•••
This was done back when I was a mod. Thing is, it's a bandage: the problem will still exist,only in private ie instead of spam posts, users would get spam PM's.
At least the threads are clean, no graveyard threads in top, etc. It's easier to report a PM than deleting a bunch of spammy posts.

•••
at least the old posts aren't bumped

•••
True but why not stop as much spam as possible?

At least the threads are clean, no graveyard threads in top, etc. It's easier to report a PM than deleting a bunch of spammy posts.

•••
I for one am VERY glad to see this thread... As moderator for that forum I was VERY against the decision to open domains wanted threads up for replies again from anyone other than the OP after calling for and helping establish the changes we put in place several years ago.

I don't see the value in opening it up for posts from sellers and see a LOT of room for abuse, spam and extra work for mods. I have also taken a short term backseat to moderating the forum just so we (including other members and section leaders) could see where it goes and not scramble to keep it cleans asap and in a semblance of actually working and "worth it". Don't get me wrong, IF the decision to keep it like this stays I will definitely be more proactive to clean threads up but will likely need more help unless the system, and seller compliance with posted criteria, gets much better.

I really think that submissions per conversation is best, and if a seller needs more clarification than a buyer should update their thread for all accordingly if appropriate. Sellers SHOULD be more attentive to posted criteria and buyers SHOULD report spam conversations that clearly do not Meet the posted criteria.

The way it "was", only active buyers threads would be bumped up, a clear signal to sellers it is worth submitting domains, rather than replying to a seller-bumped thread possibly long abandoned by the buyer...

•••
Don't you guys think that if a person is going to start a business and he wants certain kind of domain only for one time then should he wait for reaching minimum number of posts to start a thread there?

I don't think it's a good idea as such person will be forced to post crap in other forums in that case, as his only intention is to post a request in domains wanted section.

I've noticed it just today. Yeah,I'm hoping it'll do better. This section is underutilized... I'm hoping it'll go better.

Why not ban certain ppl from posting? ie Users without at least 50 posts? That might at least prevent some spam

I agree as well people should have to have a certain post count or at least be a member for a certain period of time before being allowed to post there.

A form of limitation based on membership time / posts count / or feedback rating might actually be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Maybe 100posts plus a min. 3 months on the forum. That'll give ppl time to learn the rules (and with 100 posts, they should have the experience needed to conduct business)

Oh plllleaaaseeeeee put a min post count and time frame for the WTB section. Seems like the losers from DP are coming here with there crap. It is ok to be a site for newbies and all but at somepoint we all kinda grow up..maybe the forum should to D-:

No no no, requiring 100 posts before posting in the domains wanted will kill off business. The majority of us are sellers, the last thing we need is to discourage buyers from posting. An easier option would be simply to lock the old domains wanted threads or to use the "prevent bumping old threads" vb plugin. Oops nevermind, just remembered the switch to Xenforo... maybe if they have something like it where the user has to check the tickbox to say they want to post even though it's an old thread, before posting.

IMO- It should not be limited to how many POST a user has, it should be limited to how many LIKES a user has. Every day i see users trying to sell terrible domain with 0 likes. I even saw a person with over 500 post and 0 likes! I wanted to ask how that was even possible! Answer is simple, They don't provide any value to anyone... They are only self serving and the proof is in the 'likes' pudding.

Limit the ability to post if they have less than X 'likes'

•••
Guys...one idea. What about Domains Wanted threads to auto-close after say 15 days of inactivity. Then only the OP can reopen it.

•••
•••
maybe like 30-60 days
That sounds like a good idea. I did check out other domain and/or webmaster type forums at one time and there were people posting spam for domains wanted and other threads in other areas that were 2-5 years old. I found it hard to find or post any useful information.

This is the best forum for spam control I have been a member on so that's why this is the one I use.

•••
Guys...one idea. What about Domains Wanted threads to auto-close after say 15 days of inactivity. Then only the OP can reopen it.

Great idea Asfas!

•••
in my opinion the only REAL solution is for buyers to post VERY clear criteria and for sellers to actually READ and respect the criteria and budget posted. Aside from that, regardless of whether a member can only post/pm after x amount of time or feedback or likes or whatever the issue will remain that buyers will submit domains, be it via pm or post, that do not fit the criteria or budget and SHOULD be reported... The difference was that before it would only be the OP that would see the spam/trash and (hopefully) report it, and it could then be dealt with accordingly (pm with reminder and link to rules, friendly warning or infraction for repeat offenders) but now it 1) bumps up the thread 2) potentially prompts other "inattentive" sellers that pay more attention to the last post than to the actual criteria and budget posted by the buyer to submit MORE domains that don't fit the criteria 3) will be probably reported by several people instead of just the buyer. Also, now a buyer had to check in on their thread as well as their inbox to ensure they do not miss out on any submitted domains...

Regarding threads closing if inactive for a certain period of time I assumed that was already the case forum wide and, if not, even if implemented now the reality is the point would be defeated by (perhaps abandoned) threads being bumped up by sellers, rather than active and proactive buyers bumping their own threads to update their criteria or change in budget or to clearly signal that they are indeed still interested in domain submissions, which was a large part of why we changed it to pm only a few Years ago.

•••

Inactivity in the thread or inactivity of the member?

I think there is room for improvement on both sides : sellers and buyers.
I agree with making more difficult to open an account in the forum, I agree with not allowing brand new members to post crap everywhere and just coming to try to sell something and I totally agree with only allow PMs as way of replying in the WTB section.

I also think though that posters should have some rules too like being extremely specific with their requirements ( many aren't ), being forced to update the thread and CLOSE it when they found what they want ( failing that, as Asfas suggested, the thread would be closed by admins )

•••
The way DP keeps from spammers is a requirement of at least 3 likes to post a thread in the Market Section. You could always do something with likes.

•••
The way KP keeps spammers away?
PFFT>>>>
They love spammers there!

•••
Here we go again...someone else bumping all the frigging threads in the WTB section...

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back