NameSilo

Application of domain names in the next 5-10 years

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

789.xyz

Established Member
Impact
I believe domain names will be utilized in the next 5-10 years in the following ways:

1、Domain names will be extensively used as digital wallet addresses, posted on company websites for receiving payments, and for online tipping without platform intermediaries.

2、Domain names will see widespread use in personal spaces. Content creators will only need to publish once on their own domains, eliminating the need for redundant postings across multiple platforms like X, YouTube, and Facebook. Content moderation will also evolve.

3、In the Web1 era, users were "information receivers"; in Web2, they became "information publishers"; and in the upcoming Web3 era, users will be "information distributors." Decentralization will lead to a significant surge in the demand for domain names.

4、Domain names will serve not only as symbols of corporate brands but also as symbols of personal brands, independent of any centralized platform. Just like a mobile phone number,everyone will have at least one domain name.

5、The domain name will be used to link numerous electronic devices. With the rise of the Internet of Things, each person's electronic products will increase from dozens to thousands, and domain names will be used for various electronic devices or machine pets. For instance, you can access a website for your shoes, retrieving the routes they've taken over the past week, or even view a blog from a girl you randomly met one day.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
With advancement in voice search technology by Google in next 5 years, there MAY be no demand for domains again by end users.

•••
With advancement in voice search technology by Google in next 5 years, there MAY be no demand for domains again by end users.
Why such blanket negativity?
What if your domain passes the radio test?
Don't worry Fry, all is well. AI can't replace humans.

Last edited:
•••
Do you frequently use voice search on your phone or computer browser?
Anyway, I didn't use it a few times a year.

Last edited:
•••
Indeed, domain names will continue to be awesome and thank goodness for the dev's they make things that domains can do while most us just focus on buy/sell.

I think 1-4 is already commonplace, #5 is interesting but I think constantly linking/monitoring stuff dulls our real world prowess.

•••
Domain as an identity would be massive usecase! An virtual address for every citizen.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back