IT.COM

discuss Are .Net's still worth buying ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

doofer

Top Member
Impact
As per the title, would you still buy a .net domain ? Would you consider them as second best choice to a .com or have they lost their significance now that there are so many other extensions ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would buy them to use but not to resell

Demand is still there but prices are much lower than before

•••
.NET is from Verisign and is one of the oldest tlds. Personally after .com, only .net and .org would be my preference over any present day gtlds, ntlds and cctlds (keeping the left of the dot constant)

Last edited:
•••
Yes, but pick them carefully.

•••
•••
I own two .net domains. Yet to sell any dot net

•••
Only LLL letter domains
True.
I only see value in 3L .net and not for quick flip but for bit long term.i am sure 3L .net can give good returns i own 3L.net 9 domains yet and still buying

•••
As per the title, would you still buy a .net domain ? Would you consider them as second best choice to a .com or have they lost their significance now that there are so many other extensions ?
I will only buy a .net if a client requests it or if the name makes sense before the .net tld. I stopped watching the .net expires a while ago. Sure, there might be some good ones, but I rather put my time into .com and .org.

•••
high value one-word $XXX
for .net has 0 value..

•••
Short English word .net domains still hold value. Reported sale values have been low though recently, even for LLL domains ($300 - $500 range)

Never been a big fan of the extension, but own a couple.

•••
Yes why not but i prefer only tech, bit, crypto keywords with .net extension

•••
I think that while much less valued than .com in the same word (obviously!) a .net still has value when the name is solid and when the word net is a good fit to that word. By that, I think the net is most valuable for end users looking to have a reference website, information source, etc. but not very much for a company main page.

According to the NameBio database this morning, so far in 2018 there have been 1413 .net sales with an average price of $955. Over the same period there have been 39,401 .com sales with an average price of $1345.

https://namebio.com/?s==UTM4gDOwgTM

Of course there are many more .com registered and for sale (roughly 130.8 million .com vs 15.0 million .net). If we assume that in each case roughly 20% of the registered domain names are for sale somewhere (about 44% are not in use, suggesting maybe half of those actively for sale) the odds of a .com that is for sale selling so far in 2018 is 1/660 vs the odds of a .net selling so far this year of 1/2100.

Personally I own a single aged .net that I plan to keep for awhile (not currently actively for sale), but although have considered some acquisitions of .net, and might, have not bought any during the last 2 years.

Have a sunny domain investing day, everyone!

ps Its not yet 6 am here, so hopefully I have not made any errors in my computations! :xf.wink:

pps At $30,000 vape was the top selling word in .net so far in 2018. Second place as py at $27,000. So some words for sure do still go for great prices! Interestingly the long word maculardegeneration went for $25,000 so it's not just short words.

Last edited:
•••
Only LLL letter domains
Don't underestimate NNN nets....

If I wanted the name/keyword and it wasn't available (or for sale) in "com"..I try to get the (dot)ca then net/org.. (dot) ca is Canada..my country

•••
I think that while much less valued than .com in the same word (obviously!) a .net still has value when the name is solid and when the word net is a good fit to that word. By that, I think the net is most valuable for end users looking to have a reference website, information source, etc. but not very much for a company main page.

According to the NameBio database this morning, so far in 2018 there have been 1413 .net sales with an average price of $955. Over the same period there have been 39,401 .com sales with an average price of $1345.

Of course there are many more .com registered and for sale (roughly 130.8 million .com vs 15.0 million .net). If we assume that in each case roughly 20% of the registered domain names are for sale somewhere (about 44% are not in use, suggesting maybe half of those actively for sale) the odds of a .com that is for sale selling so far in 2018 is 1/660 vs the odds of a .net selling so far this year of 1/2100.

Personally I own a single aged .net that I plan to keep for awhile (not currently actively for sale), but although have considered some acquisitions of .net, and might, have not bought any during the last 2 years.

Have a sunny domain investing day, everyone!

ps Its not yet 6 am here, so hopefully I have not made any errors in my computations! :xf.wink:
informative posting...love your stats!

Speaking of namebio...how to you find the NNN sales (number,number,number) trying my best...https://namebio.com/?s==YzN3gDOwgTM

Last edited:
•••
informative posting...loveyour stats!

Speaking of namebio...how to you find the NNN sales (number,number,number) trying my best...https://namebio.com/?s==YzN3gDOwgTM

Is this what you mean? If so, you just enter NNN into the Pattern setting right after the extension, along with whatever settings you need. The following shows that for net so far in 2018.

https://namebio.com/?s==cDN4gDOwgTM

The top seller was 077 at $12,361. I suspect many of these buyers were in China where short numbers are much preferred over even short words in general (at least that is what I have read).

•••
Is this what you mean? If so, you just enter NNN into the Pattern setting right after the extension, along with whatever settings you need. The following shows that for net so far in 2018.

https://namebio.com/?s==cDN4gDOwgTM

The top seller was 077 at $12,361. I suspect many of these buyers were in China where short numbers are much preferred over even short words in general (at least that is what I have read).
I feel so stupid (only on my first coffee lol)...I put in "nnn" not "NNN" big difference!

Nice sale for a NNN net....especially with a "0"...supposedly bad number for Chinese..

Just a guide (year old+) http://www.3character.com/price-guide.html

•••
I feel so stupid (only on my first coffee lol)...I put in "nnn" not "NNN" big difference!

Nice sale for a NNN net....especially with a "0"...supposedly bad number for Chinese..

Just a guide (year old+) http://www.3character.com/price-guide.html

Thanks for the link! I have never looked much into short number domains, but I should learn more about them!

Re first coffee, I am not yet on first coffee. I start each day with my priorities straight:
1. NameBio
2. NamePros
3. Cofffee
(useful work is well down list :xf.smile:)

•••
I would buy them to use but not to resell

Demand is still there but prices are much lower than before
If a domain extension is of so low quality that it has no resale value, why would you use it? If it's not good enough for end-users, why is it good enough for your own use?

•••
Having a net gain is unlikely

•••
If a domain extension is of so low quality that it has no resale value, why would you use it? If it's not good enough for end-users, why is it good enough for your own use?
Just my thoughts....if the content good and indexed by search engines..domain name doesn't really matter...

•••
Worthless ntlds killed value of net org biz and info and thats all because of newbies idiots in domaining.

•••
domain name doesn't really matter...
Are you serious? Domains don't really matter? Then why have you bothered spending your time making 18,000 posts on a forum predicated on the idea that domains matter?

That domains matter, and make a huge difference to a business, is the whole premise of what we are doing here. If domains didn't matter and didn't make a difference to a business, there would be no domain investing. There would be no .COM golden standard. If domains didn't matter, nobody would buy domains from the aftermarket, because it why spend four, five, six figures on something irrelevant and inconsequential? If domains didn't matter there wouldn't be more than a billion dollars worth of .COM sales indexed at namebio.

Domains do matter, and the domain industry is based on that fact.

•••
Are you serious? Domains don't really matter? Then why have you bothered spending your time making 18,000 posts on a forum predicated on the idea that domains matter?

That domains matter, and make a huge difference to a business, is the whole premise of what we are doing here. If domains didn't matter and didn't make a difference to a business, there would be no domain investing. There would be no .COM golden standard. If domains didn't matter, nobody would buy domains from the aftermarket, because it why spend four, five, six figures on something irrelevant and inconsequential? If domains didn't matter there wouldn't be more than a billion dollars worth of .COM sales indexed at namebio.

Domains do matter, and the domain industry is based on that fact.
Wow quite the misquote....please include the part before...about content!
I have sold a few developed garbage names ,just because the content was good and site was indexed..

There is a whole section on websites https://www.namepros.com/forums/websites-for-sale.59/ not saying garbage names..

Last edited:
•••
History repeats itself, find the right names for any given extension and there's money to be made imho.

•••
Wow quite the misquote....please include the part before...about content!
I have sold a few developed garbage names ,just because the content was good and site was indexed..

There is a whole section on websites https://www.namepros.com/forums/websites-for-sale.59/ not saying garbage names..
Misquote? The part before doesn't change the meaning of your post at all.

You said if the content is good and indexed, the domain name doesn't really matter. That's what I responded to.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back