Dynadot

Arrays in PHP and JavaScript

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have looked about the net for help on this but cannot find an example which is unique to this situation.

I want to return the array list from a php file to javascript as an ajax response (using jQuery) for inclusion in a Flot graph.
This is using 'sample' data, the real data will be retrieved from a database and populate $array.

getAccounts.php
PHP:
$array = array(
0 => array(-373597200000, 315.71),
1 => array(-970918800000, 957.45)
);
echo $array;

accounts.php
PHP:
$(function () {
var d;
   $.ajax({
      type: "GET",
      url: "include/getAccounts.php",
      success: function(msg){ 
         d = msg;
      }
   });

//d = [[-373597200000, 500.71], [-370918800000, 317.45]]; 

//The array is used here requiring d[i] to populate graph

});

The problem I am getting it the PHP is echoing the string 'Array' (which is expected when using echo), if i do 'echo $array[0][0]' it is getting the correct value.

The issue here is how to pass all the $array data into the javascript so it can be read properly.

The line "d = [[-373597200000, 500.71], [-370918800000, 317.45]];" works as required when uncommented so this is the form I need the array inside the JavaScript.

Does anyone know the best way to do this?

Much much appriciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
solved by passing a string then using split() to rebuild the array in javascript.

Probably not the best way but it's working for now.

If anyone can provide a more efficient way let me know.

Thanks

•••
You would probably want to use JSON for this.
I would convert the php array to JSON using json_encode.
I would then retrieve the data from getAccounts.php in jQuery (which is what I think you're using) using .getJSON.

It makes it really easy to transfer the array over using standard methods. (Think both links I gave have examples on then, let me know if you need a hand with any of it :))

•••
Thanks a lot.
I had heard a few people mention using JSON but having not used it before I avoided it. I'll give it a go with those links you gave.

•••
Without DOUBTS use JSON.

You will find SO MANY tasks easier that it's worth starting somewhere and this is the PERFECT place.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back