Domain Empire

Best Approach to making money from domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Newbie wants to pick brains if you have a minute

I have read some articles that say that parking is a poor choice with regard to domains - esp in terms of making money. What do members here think the best way to make money from domains is (esp from a $ per hour perspective): -

1. Buy name/expiring name that you think is undervalued and resell it 2 months later
2. Buy name - add some decent generic content and useful information, add adsense and seo it a bit.
3. Buy name - spend plenty of time in development and try to build it into a worthwhile site with some money making potential.
4. Any other ideas

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
#'s 2 & 3 are the way to go at the moment. There was a time when parking domains was worthwhile, unless you have type in traffic or good back-links, this is not fruitful now..there's always a market for buying/selling domains but it's time consuming and a lot of luck is needed.

•••
#2 and #3 are always the best options. But if you can buy 10 domains (lets say $110) and they sell them all for $15 each in 20 minutes, you just made a $40 profit in 20 minutes. Think about it.

•••
Parking CAN work if you know what you are doing. It's not as easy as it was, but it's good for domains you are going to sell or develop later. Find a parking provider that will let you get links to your domains. Most won't allow that, but a few will if you ask them. You may not make a lot from parking, but you won't spend a lot of time at it either.

I would say hosting the domain and building a site for adsense or really developing a site are the best in the long-term. Building a small site and then selling the domain and site should give you a higher percentage of profit for short-term gain.

•••
I think an approach you enjoy will work the best. If you don't like cold calls and/or negotiating with potential buyers and/or sellers, then domain flipping probably isn't a good idea.

I seldom sell mine because once I have them covering their costs anything more feels like free money. I should mention I only build sites on relitively timeless topics so updates and not a major concern.

•••
#2 and #3 are always the best options. But if you can buy 10 domains (lets say $110) and they sell them all for $15 each in 20 minutes, you just made a $40 profit in 20 minutes. Think about it.

if you think about this a little more... how long does it take for you to write a for sale thread, check it every day, bump it, deal with customers, take low offers, haggle, open your email, log into godaddy, check namepros, refresh, do feedback ratings, check your other email, push, remember your passwords, etc etc etc...

besides, most names you buy you'll be still trying to sell in 1, 2, 3 years....

when you do the math that's an awfully slow way to make $40

i'd say buy and sell domains (once you know what you're doing) in the $300 - $3000 range, to make the effort worthwhile. besides that, develop quality sites on quality domains on topics you're interested in, and hold them for the long term

•••
Thanks

I really do get a feel that it is an experiment and find out what works for you situation.

Clearly it's very easy to spend a lot of time not making much money any which way to try it. I am going to try a bit of development and see how it goes.

•••
1. Buy name/expiring name that you think is undervalued and resell to end users

Brad

•••
How do sell a name for $15 right after you bought it?

•••
1. Buy name/expiring name that you think is undervalued and resell it 2 months later

you can actually sell it the day after :)

•••
you can actually sell it the day after :)

How can you sell it the day after? I bought several, i am waiting for 60days for nothing?Thanks for answer

•••
You can sell it and push it to another owner's account with the same registrar right away. It's only the "transfer" to another registrar that can be delayed 60 days. But in some cases you can talk to the registrar and they may let you transfer it sooner.

One way to avoid this delay when you BUY a domain, is to ask the owner to NOT change the information to yours when they push the domain to you. If the domain was owned by them for more than 60 days, then you should be able to transfer it and put your information on the domain when it has been moved to the new registrar.

•••
You can sell it and push it to another owner's account with the same registrar right away. It's only the "transfer" to another registrar that can be delayed 60 days. But in some cases you can talk to the registrar and they may let you transfer it sooner.

One way to avoid this delay when you BUY a domain, is to ask the owner to NOT change the information to yours when they push the domain to you. If the domain was owned by them for more than 60 days, then you should be able to transfer it and put your information on the domain when it has been moved to the new registrar.

thanks a lot. It will help me so much. I was waiting for nothing, i can try to find end users now :) thanks a lot :)

•••
•••
If you pick a very interesting domain, like some .COM where .NET, .ORG and others are taken..

I sold mine after 5 days :)
http://www.namepros.com/83628-report-domain-name-sales-here-127.html#post3737585

It is great, 5 minutes, wow:$::sold:
I have several com and net domains, some of them can be interesting for people.
Can you give me any tips to sell rapidly? Everyone tells enduser but there must be a path to follow, no? If it is not secret, i'll wait for your message or PM :)thanks all the same.

•••
It is great, 5 minutes, wow:$::sold:
I have several com and net domains, some of them can be interesting for people.
Can you give me any tips to sell rapidly? Everyone tells enduser but there must be a path to follow, no? If it is not secret, i'll wait for your message or PM :)thanks all the same.
there's no secret with LUCK :) And never register a domain if you have doubts on it that it can be sold.. It's okay if you have 2 domains you can sell and get profit, than having 10 and you can not sell any

•••
#4. Before you even decide to go into domaining, decide how much money you want to make? Then find a vehicle to do it. There are case studies aplenty of folks who have done it. Don't be a clueless nutjob like most domainers are.

I had a few setbacks, but I practice what I preach. I did not decide to make $10 million from my domains because I knew, with my portfolio that was not possible. A six figure income is nothing to sneeze at.

Always know firsthand the value of your domains. Be your own expert. That will take a lot of sweat, blood and tears. Always know your income target. Then work accordingly by using facts and data of people who've done it.

Don't wait forever like most domainers, who will never make it in this business. The last thing you wanna do is domaining as a hobby.

Play Bingo please.

•••
Finding end users is very difficult. How you are getting end users in 5 minutes easily, i didn't understand

•••
Finding end users is very difficult. How you are getting end users in 5 minutes easily, i didn't understand
I actually said 5 days :D

•••
there's no secret with LUCK :) And never register a domain if you have doubts on it that it can be sold.. It's okay if you have 2 domains you can sell and get profit, than having 10 and you can not sell any

#4. Before you even decide to go into domaining, decide how much money you want to make? Then find a vehicle to do it. There are case studies aplenty of folks who have done it. Don't be a clueless nutjob like most domainers are.

I had a few setbacks, but I practice what I preach. I did not decide to make $10 million from my domains because I knew, with my portfolio that was not possible. A six figure income is nothing to sneeze at.

Always know firsthand the value of your domains. Be your own expert. That will take a lot of sweat, blood and tears. Always know your income target. Then work accordingly by using facts and data of people who've done it.

Don't wait forever like most domainers, who will never make it in this business. The last thing you wanna do is domaining as a hobby.

Play Bingo please.

I actually said 5 days :D

Do you think that i should focus on only one subject? For example only .net or only "gold/silver/finance.."?
I bought domain names with different subject, i don't know if it is logic or it is better to be domainer. Thanks a lot friends for "really" nice advises!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back