Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

Curious...

1) Is Michael Krell (@michaeljkrell) the only "Ambassador" at BrandBucket? Or are there other members who are less active on NamePros, but have obtained the "Ambassador" level?

2) Also, is Mr. Krell an employee of BrandBucket or a member whose success has been recognized by Margot via the "Ambassador" title as appreciation for his portfolio/sales volume?

Please don't get me wrong... he appears to be successful with his approach and has shared many (much appreciated) post on this thread... I am just not sure if he is a paid employee or is a non-employee promoter who believes in their platform to the point that he promotes it on his own endeavor.

Also, I'm unclear if the "Ambassador" title is member privilege obtainable via performance metrics (and being so knighted provides additional member privileges) or if it is in title only as management recognition (with no additional privileges).

I am new to the site and curious if there are different membership levels available.

Appreciate any insight that could be provided on the topic.

Thanks,

-Jim

•••
Hi,

Curious...

1) Is Michael Krell (@michaeljkrell) the only "Ambassador" at BrandBucket? Or are there other members who are less active on NamePros, but have obtained the "Ambassador" level?

2) Also, is Mr. Krell an employee of BrandBucket or a member whose success has been recognized by Margot via the "Ambassador" title as appreciation for his portfolio/sales volume?

Please don't get me wrong... he appears to be successful with his approach and has shared many (much appreciated) post on this thread... I am just not sure if he is a paid employee or is a non-employee promoter who believes in their platform to the point that he promotes it on his own endeavor.

Also, I'm unclear if the "Ambassador" title is member privilege obtainable via performance metrics (and being so knighted provides additional member privileges) or if it is in title only as management recognition (with no additional privileges).

I am new to the site and curious if there are different membership levels available.

Appreciate any insight that could be provided on the topic.

Thanks,

-Jim

1) Matthew Spendiff-Smith (excitemental.com) and Hadi Naser (www.libyanspider.com - .ly names) are also brandbucket ambassadors. Might be more ambassadors I'm unaware of.

2) Ambassador = non-employee, although:

“BrandBucket Ambassadors will be afforded special perks, resources and budgets to help them promote their portfolios and help represent BrandBucket’s ever-growing collection of available business names for entrepreneurs, startups and new businesses. The BrandBucket Ambassador program is by invite only, and ambassadors are selected for their quality domain portfolios and for their ability to represent BrandBucket to future customers and partners.”

•••
Coincidentally, I contacted about this issue to BB yesterday.

Did not get an answer about the approval time issue, however I had an other major issue with them.

I keep seeing my denied/dropped/sold names on their site lately at least 25 of them.

The last one was a name I sold here on NP on the 30th of March and went live on their site with a hefty price tag yesterday.

This name was denied by BB back in 2014 November.

They explained by saying they have changed their approval policy and I can always try to re-approve other denied names...

I would have loved to know that information earlier...

•••

Did not get an answer about the approval time issue, however I had an other major issue with them.

I keep seeing my denied/dropped/sold names on their site lately at least 25 of them.

The last one was a name I sold here on NP on the 30th of March and went live on their site with a hefty price tag yesterday.

They explained by saying they have changed their approval policy and I can always try to re-approve other denied names...

Did that name change status on your BB panel?
I mean, if they accept some denied names at a later time, do they also change the domains' status on the panel to accepted?

•••
Do you mean to say she should review her own names twice? Once at acquisition and once when listing them?

Not sure who that is directed at, but I doubt anyone is suggesting anything of the kind. FWIW I personally feel they should treat names in the queue in the same way regardless of who the owner is.

Of course they are free to run their platform as they see fit, but I don't think it's a wise business move to introduce bias in their processes that could favor some suppliers at the expense of others. Even moreso if such bias isn't transparent.

I've 205 names listed and around another 170 in the submission queue. But this current issue gives me some serious reservations about BrandBucket. I'd welcome some clarity from them on how they process the queue, whether some users, e.g. the ambassadors, are favored over others and if so exactly what that favoritism involves.

•••

No, it still shows denied beside the names, but the names have a price now and its live in their marketplace.

.....We did change our criteria for accepting names back in 2014 and now accept names that may have been rejected previously. We do offer a reconsideration for names that were rejected prior to September 2014, so if you would like to re-submit names you can do so again. Feel free to send us these name by replying to this email and our team can review them...

•••

I thought it was a good brandable and bid on the name in your auction, but stopped my offers before Michael, because I could see it was rejected by BB.

I'd welcome some clarity from them on how they process the queue, whether some users, e.g. the ambassadors, are favored over others and if so exactly what that favoritism involves.

There seemed to be at least two advantages - You move more quickly through review procces and you may get rejected names approved.

•••
@Arca - thank you for the insight about Matthew & Hadi being Ambassadors in addition to Michael. Also, thanks for the links to their sites providing an opportunity to read a bit about their businesses. I wasn't aware there was a membership "tier" program available... and now recognize there is one via invite only. With Michael (US), Matthew (UK), and Hadi (LY)... it appears she is leveraging regional promoters from members who have 200+ names published on the site. Interesting strategy. (thanks for your post)

@zozypapa - thanks for sharing your recent "decline" example along with mentioning you recently contacted them about being considered for the Ambassador role. (much appreciate your post and insight)

I think it is smart for Margot to listen to her user base and leverage regional promotion. I would assume Canada, Australia, India, (any pool of English speaking territories for that matter) would be prime targets for her Ambassador program if these territories are .com purchasing clusters.

I appreciate the quick (and insightful) responses to the question asked.

Thank you,

-Jim

Last edited:
•••
One of my domain got approved within 4 hours of submission.

In every business there are some special perks available for special clients like super seller status.

@michaeljkrell has been working hard and building his own portfolio as well as BB's inventory.

He may choose other marketplace but he gave importance to BB. So BB shows the honor in special way.

And, there is no need to review @margotb or Boxadors domains since the domain already chose by the one who reviews other member's domains.

There is no need for second review for Boxadors domains.

IMHO,
Instead of criticizing we can spend that time to expand our portfolio.

•••
All I'd like is a little more transparency so I know how my submissions will be handled and what I'm competing with on the supplier side. Not really complaining since I've been very happy with BB to date, just asking for information which obviously wasn't out there.

Here's what @michaeljkrell said in his DomainSherpa interview:

Michael C: Got it. And do you get any perks? Like you had mentioned that you submitted your domain names to BrandBucket. Do you go to the top of the line? Do you get more of your domain names onto BrandBucket? [... ]

Michael K: Sure. Well, I do not get any preferential treatment in moving my names up the list of getting them published or anything. I do get if I want to market my portfolio, say, to a meet-up or if we decided it made sense to go to a domain conference, let’s say, BrandBucket would comp me for those business expenses, and then I guess it cliché to say it, but just to be more closely tied in with Margot and her husband, Ross. They have been successful in many other ventures and it is just good to be a part of a successful team.

Things may have changed since then, and it would just be nice to know if that's the case.

•••
No one is critizizing anyone here. We all learning from each others success and experience. All I would like to see is a bit more transparency and information around their business that's all.

I am really happy with other domainers success. And I have definitely learned a LOT from Michael and his blog!

•••

In every business there are some special perks available for special clients like super seller status.

@michaeljkrell has been working hard and building his own portfolio as well as BB's inventory.

He may choose other marketplace but he gave importance to BB. So BB shows the honor in special way.

And, there is no need to review @margotb or Boxadors domains since the domain already chose by the one who reviews other member's domains.

IMHO,

I don't see anyone criticizing anyone here (at least not in a bad way)

what I do see though is an unfair advantage some users have by having their domains approved within 4 hours of submission instead of the 1-2 months the rest of us have to wait for

...just saying

•••
I like BB and has sold several names through them - I also like Michael and his success, but I also like clarity and fair play and ageea was dismissed in November, so zozypapa could not just get it reconsidered and it seemed not fair to me.

•••
I also like BB even if I don't have any success with them.
Sadly small fishes like me with 10-20 listed names can't compete with those who has 500-1000+ listed there (even if some of my names are really-really good ones).

•••

IMHO,
@DKN - Could you please elaborate a bit on your name that was accepted 4 hours after you submitted it? Did you just submit it as regular through the "add domains" section, and then receive the acceptance mail right after? Personally I would be happy with an average of 4 weeks:D So 4 hours is pretty amazing.

Things may have changed since then, and it would just be nice to know if that's the case.
Zozypapa's rejected name was sold to Michael on March 30 (so it was submitted on March 30 or later). And it went live on their site a while back (I recognized the name from that auction as well).

My names that got accepted one month earlier, in early March, haven't gone live yet. And the ones from mid march and onwards have yet to be reviewed. I can't give you an "official" answer, but the statement that "I do not get any preferential treatment in moving my names up the list of getting them published or anything" - obviously does not hold true at present.

However, I think that Michael getting preferential treatment in terms of getting his names reviewed faster is understandable, and not a big issue. After all, he is a BB ambassador, BB is Margot's own marketplace, and she is free to operate it the way she wants. BB has chosen to operate without much transparency, and that is fine. Personally I am glad that BB allows any seller to submit their names, list at their marketplace, and get more eyes on their brandable names than would have been possible if just listing them at sedo, afternic, dns. I don't think this discussion is about criticizing BB, since many people here have invested considerable time, effort, and money into building up their portfolios at BB, and in that sense have a certain stake in BB - I don't think it is an issue that people share their opinions about how it is being run. I'd say that due to the lack of transparency, discussion like this is of particular importance, as it brings up certain issues that we would otherwise not have been aware of.

And the issue that @zozypapa has mentioned I find really problematic. Even though he is a BB ambassador, Michael should not be able to get rejected names accepted. Especially one that was rejected only half a year back. Approval should be based on the quality of the name. In this case, it was determined only by who submitted it.

They are saying that their policy changed. But if the name was not even good enough to get accepted half a year ago, how come it is now up with a high price tag? If that is really the case, their acceptance policy must have been changed significantly since then. I don't exclude the possibility of this of course, but it doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:
•••
For me it's not a general criticism of either BB or Michael and the advantages he has as ambasador (no matter what he have said earlier), but rather if he can get name accepted on BB that others have been rejected - Michael buys names here at Namepros and it would be interesting to know if there are other rejected names in between and whether they are listed on BB?

•••
No one is critizizing anyone here. We all learning from each others success and experience. All I would like to see is a bit more transparency and information around their business that's all.

I am really happy with other domainers success. And I have definitely learned a LOT from Michael and his blog!

Well Bro,

I didn't mean to hurt anyone here....

Yes... I'm also learning through every one's post here as like you.

But some member's post seems like complaining or criticizing the process.

I don't see anyone criticizing anyone here (at least not in a bad way)

what I do see though is an unfair advantage some users have by having their domains approved within 4 hours of submission instead of the 1-2 months the rest of us have to wait for

...just saying

Bro, only one time my domain got instant approval

I agree with your point... we need transparency.

I just feel comparing @michaeljkrell 's recent listing is not good. Its just my opinion.

I also feel the review time is too long compare with Brandroot and Namerific.

@DKN - Could you please elaborate a bit on your name that was accepted 4 hours after you submitted it? Did you just submit it as regular through the "add domains" section, and then receive the acceptance mail right after? Personally I would be happy with an average of 4 weeks:D So 4 hours is pretty amazing.

Yes Bro.

submitted through "add domains" as a batch of 6+domains.

One domain approved within 4 hours another 5 domains reviewed in the regular cycle after 45days.

Most of the times reviews take 45+ days for me :)

•••
Its interesting that everyone cares so much, and spends so much time analyzing BB. Why?

I just submit domains and forget. The only time i login to BB is when i submit more names, and sometimes i notice more are accepted. I just don't see how over analyzing it would help at all.

I like to spend my time finding name and not wasting my time caring about things i have no control over.

PS...I keep seeing people say "My little portfolio won't bee seen in the mass of 10,000 names. This is simply not true at all... Does everyone realize that there is a SEARCH BAR on BB??? <--- This is how buyers find names, they don't scroll threw hundreds of endless pages, they just search for their industry or a word that fits their business, and pick from the results.

Final note: a lot of my sales on BB have come within 24hrs of Margot sending out her BB Newletter of new names.....

•••
For encouragement to all those with rejected names, I just sold a brandable for €2.999 BB rejected last year - Maybe I could have gotten it approved this year? - I will reveal the name when the money is in my account

•••

One domain approved within 4 hours another 5 domains reviewed in the regular cycle after 45days.

Most of the times reviews take 45+ days for me :)

To be fair, it could be that there was already a buyer fitting that domain even before your submitting it and BB just wanted to speed things up... if you didn't sell it then it could be that somewhere the deal went off?

•••
To be fair, it could be that there was already a buyer fitting that domain even before your submitting it and BB just wanted to speed things up... if you didn't sell it then it could be that somewhere the deal went off?

Yes seems like :)

•••
For encouragement to all those with rejected names, I just sold a brandable for €2.999 BB rejected last year - Maybe I could have gotten it approved this year? - I will reveal the name when the money is in my account

Congrats for your sale :)

I had an serious $1K offer through afternic for one of my domain after handreg 2days. BB rejected that name and received another Mid XXX offer.

•••
All this favoritism, lengthy delays, lack of transparency, changing policies with poor communication etc etc will eventually attract a competitor. Someone will come along with more money, more resources and more connections.. Unless they start to address these items they will be blindsided by their "sudden" drop as the leading source for brandable domains. The market will address these issues like it always does.....competition.

•••
Hey, Guys,

In regards to declined names being accepted... If there is a name that has been rejected at BB and you feel it is a strong name, you should definitely email BB and ask them to take another look. I've done this a few times before I ever became a BB ambassador. Like one or two other members mentioned, if BB rejects a name, it doesn't mean that the name isn't going to sell. I've sold a fair amount of $xxxx names that were previously rejected by BB on MediaPlow and GD Premium.

I have some newish (under 8 weeks old) names that are in the queue, but the vast majority of my names that have gone live recently have been waiting 2-4 months.

If you have any other specific questions, please ask.

Thanks,
Michael

•••
I have some newish (under 8 weeks old) names that are in the queue, but the vast majority of my names that have gone live recently have been waiting 2-4 months.
Hi Michael

I quoted you from the Domain Sherpa interview where you said that you do not get any favors in terms of your names in the queue. Is that still the case, or do some of your names get treated differently now?

Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back