information Breaking news – Not all domain sales are reported

Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
"Hey bro there are many sales that are not reported!" That seems to be the mantra of half the commenters when a post is published regarding reported sales data. This is not news, everyone knows this, the posts I am referencing never made any implication that these are the only sales, or run your business by these numbers only. Some people ran with the numbers, such as a post I wrote on what … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.. nevermind..

Last edited:
•••
Just Imho-

Possible reasons not to report sales:

- NDA

- Being too busy

- Not seeing how it would benefit the business

- Seeing how it may harm the business (For example: oh, he sold blah-blah dot something. He knows his job. What other niches he is in? Let me also try...)

Possible reasons to report sales:

- Being a domain marketplace (needs to be promoted!)

- Need to satisfy an ego. Also,

Compensation (psychology) In psychology, compensation is a strategy whereby one covers up, consciously or unconsciously, weaknesses, frustrations, desires, or feelings of inadequacy or incompetence in one life area through the gratification or (drive towards) excellence in another area

- Being a good Samaritan - dedicating time and efforts to support third party platforms like dnjournal or namebio, and/or trying to make the industry better by educating potential buyers.

Last edited:
•••
I can categorically state that I have never, to the best of my knowledge and belief ever, ever sold a domain name...even for $1.

I hope that has cleared up any misconceptions about me knowing what the feck I'm doing.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
I will put a sale in the “completed sales” forum here every once in a while, but definitely wouldn’t all the time for various reasons, client confidentiality and ect, plus i don’t really focus on reporting any sale at all.

I like NameBio, but i can honestly say that I have never sold a domain for X amount of $$$s or bought a name based off their Data.

•••
Thanks for the post @equity78, full of common sense as always.

Also thanks for the comprehensive reasons to, and not to, report sales @tonyk2000.

Just from venues reporting and domain numbers at different places I think at least 80% of domain sales are not in NameBio, probably even more unreported.

As a general rule there is probably somewhat the same proportion unreported in different TLDs and therefore relative numbers more or less unchanged, as your post implies @equity78.

That said, I suspect most country code TLDs that are not general purpose may disproportionately sell at country specific places and are probably under represented on NameBio to some degree.

Also, Asian venues are under-represented compared to North America and western Europe sales venues, perhaps, and that would mean that new gTLDs that are disproportionately registered in Asia may be under-represented in NameBio to some degree.

Made-up names are probably very under-represented due to the brandable marketplaces sales disclosure rules.

I really wish that all sales above some price point were disclosed, so we would know for sure.

Thanks again for the column.

Bob

•••
Love this. Mock the troll....go...go...go

•••
Dont report any sale if you want, but if you make a thread that you sold a name for such and such, specially big figures, then dont tell me you have an NDA. If you do post and just claim you made a sale, then please atleast provide the name, you can keep the amount it sold for.

•••
Maybe, there should be two distinct categorizations of sales reported. One with details and one without. Although a Non Disclosure Agreement has been signed, I can't see why an entity would not want the details published. If details were released for example in NP, that's over one million potential customer/clients. Any publicity is good publicity and it's a cheap way of advertising.

A verbal NDA is not worth the paper it's not written on.

Even a real, grown up proper NDA is limited in the scope of protection that it offers. Supposing that you had one million Dollars and your NDA was breached in China and you got so mad you decided to prosecute. You can then wave goodbye to your million Dollars as it would likely cost that much to successfully defend the breach. Obviously, my figures may not be accurate as I am neither an Accountant or a Lawyer.

Name Domains Anonymouse

•••
And even if you know the exact domain name - how it changes your life???
Sorry, but I never understood these battles...

p.s. Any decent domain can be sold.
Just question of time and price.

Last edited:
•••
For the record, Sedo has optional fee (1.5% I think) for not making the sale public. Payable by the requesting party (buyer or seller). So, some customers might have asked for it and/or using it.

•••
And even if you know the exact domain name - how it changes your life???
Sorry, but I never understood these battles...

p.s. Any decent domain can be sold.
Just question of time and price.

come on Jurgen
the most important question in domaining is:

what is my domain worth and why

so that might be easier to be answered
when you have comparable data

•••
A verbal NDA is not worth the paper it's not written on.
I disagree. If you orally say a price will not be reported, you should honour that whether formal or not.
Bob

•••
Worth is a very relative term...
Some companies spend $20K+ per domain easily like 1-2-3...
And for another company the same domain is expensive even for $5K...

Last edited:
•••
In other words, worth completely depends on "who is your buyer" and on your negotiation skills.

•••
p.s. I have reviewed this article - looks like another news about Epik... or traditional viral marketing from @Rob Monster

•••
•••
I disagree. If you orally say a price will not be reported, you should honour that whether formal or not.
Bob

Sorry, @Bob Hawkes , it was meant in a satirical sense. I, obviously always act in an honorable fashion.

The quote of sorts is alleged to be from 1890 -

In the adjoining colony of Victoria, Sir Bryan O’Loghlen, M.P., who has a national right to indulge in this sort of thing, gravely told the Supreme Court that “a verbal agreement is not worth the paper it’s written on.”

•••
Thanks for clarification and I am sorry I misunderstood.
Have a nice day,
Bob

•••
For the record, Sedo has optional fee (1.5% I think) for not making the sale public. Payable by the requesting party (buyer or seller). So, some customers might have asked for it and/or using it.
Here on NamePros I have read that seller can hide the domain sale for free...
This old domainer just asked his transfer manager... and they did.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back